Thursday 14 February 2008

Phonecall

I was JW'ed, or maybe Mormoned by 'phone yesterday.
Phone went, I answered, person gave me his name and told me he was volunteering in the area.
And that he'd like to discuss the Bible with me.
'I don't want to discuss the Bible with YOU,' I said, and he apologised and the call was over.

I must admit, I was almost as surprised by myself than the call. I frequently talk about the Bible here, wouldn't this have been a fine opportunity to engage a knowledgeable person in conversation ?
Not really.
I'd rather avoid the 'phone if possible. I don't know why. I enjoy talking to my kids on the 'phone, but other than them, I'm happier to text, e-mail, IM. Inexplicable.

V-Day. Also inexplicable here on the lefthand side of Canada. What, oh what is with it? We have had all kinds of cookies, cakes and chocolates given at work. None of these people - to the best of my knowledge - has any romantic or sexual interest in any of the others.
Creepy.

Last week we watched the film 'Karla' about Canadian serial killer Karla Homolka. The film was based on the story of Karla and her Svengali husband Paul Bernado. Bernado had raped three women before meeting Karla, then together they sexually tortured and killed three other young women.
Kevin remembers the search for one of the girls who went missing from his town.
I wasn't aware of the case at all, until the year I came to live here when Karla Homolka was released from gaol, amid great controversy.
The film was exceptionally well made and Laura Prepon in the eponymous role was just superb.

Karla Homolka had been given a lighter sentence of twelve years, whilst Bernado got life with no possibility of parole. The film reflected this. Homolka was portrayed as besotted, bewitched by her abusive husband, powerless to escape him.
As I understand it, both blames the other, Bernado accusing Homolka of being a manipulative psychopath, and many people believe this to be the case. This contrary view was also alluded to in the footnotes to the film. But it was an excellent film, it succeeded where so many Hollywood films fail, in making you feel the horror the girls suffered before they died.

6 comments:

Sleepy said...

I hate the 'phone and never answer it.
I hate talking on it too. My Dad is the same.
If we have to talk to each other the chat lasts about 30 seconds!

I'll keep an eye out for that film.
(what happened to the geezer who had loads of bodies on his farm?)

Schneewittchen said...

Robert Pickton got life for six of the 27 murders.

Sleepy said...

What did he get for the others?
A stern talking to?

Karen said...

The others haven't had their trial yet.
In my observations of Homolka, she is a sociopath. She's since had a son and moved to some unknown location in the Caribbean. Aaargh, the "b" on my computer isn't working very well, surprising how often the b is used.
Homolka cut a deal and then videos were found and her testimony wouldn't have been needed.
I believe the families won the right to have the videos burned.
I still think of Kristin French and Leslie Mahaffy - they would be in their early 30s now.
I have also read that some women write regularly to Bernardo, expressing their love of him.
- Karen

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm surprised the film portrayed the story in that way. The prevailing attitude is that she's just as crazy as him and one theory, that I personally believe, is that she actually killed the girls (not that that makes his actions any better).

I lived in the town next to Kevin's and those were strange times. There were a few horrific events over a couple of summers in the sleepy town (we called it "Boring-ton", Kevin). This whole case still sends shivers up my back...

kdf said...

We called it boring-ton too. Number one thing to do while in Burlingon - go to Toronto. Close second was to complain about Hamilton.

I was partly dissociated from those events, as I'd gone west the year before. It was the summer of '91 when I returned for work and friend time. Even with that, it never occurred to anyone that simply wandering around late at night was somehow unsafe. But then, that was how you end up with a young girl locked out of her house by her parents.