Thursday 15 January 2009

Brighton

Brighton, an interesting city, sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a weird and not always sociably acceptable way. Fashionable though. Although large hats, as sported by Dr. Seuss's character I feel are outside of fashion.

When listing things I had forgotten about the other day, I had forgotten about the Lollipop man or lady - but lo, there he is, Cap'n Birdseye, helping the young, the old and the simply confused to cross the road.

Edie Sedgewick tights seem to be de rigueur at the moment, although I'm told they're leggings, not tights by she who knows. Look like tights to me. You'd have to have a damn fine figure to wear 'em.

British Rail and their toilets. The train from Pompey to Havant had no toilets working, a fact they announced, requiring that passengers should come and tell the guard should an, 'extended stop' be required.
At Havant, such a thing was requested, and a man got off the train to do just that.

But the gents was Out of Order and the ladies' was occupied.
'Go and tell the guard,' I advised - sagely in my opinion. As he was talking to the guard, a lady came out of the toilet and I signalled to him to hurry in.
'Thanks,' he said to me as he came out of the loo, but frankly, he could have shown his gratitude by not peeing on and around the seat and by washing his hands before touching the door handle.

In Brighton, I needed to eat. But how do you judge an eatery when you don't know the place and there are literally dozens of them? You go on how clean they look don't you? Sadly, this didn't work either, first one we went into offered only Mexican food and we were ignored, so we went out again.

Dinner was from Waitrose, emporium of culinary delight.
'Do you want some beer?' I asked Ben, envisioning a six pack, we did, after all, have to carry everything back to his flat. Turned out Ben could carry an entire 24 pack of Grolsch, plus the groceries and the stuff from Boots - not an insignificant haul.

Back at 'impecunious music student villas' there is a TV, but they're not allowed to plug it into the arial, since they have chosen NOT to purchase a licence. Thus everyone who stays has to divvy up for a DVD from the cheapo place down the street. I got a film, 'Magicians' for four quid, it starred Mitchell and Webb, of 'Peep Show' fame. Funny, it was funny.

But tonight - I'm back in Pomponius. Pompernickel.
How d'ya like yer seagull, fried or boiled?

And you know what, I still haven't licked the jetlag yet.

2 comments:

Sleepy said...

You saw way more of Brighton than me!
I saw Woodvale Crem and some pub called Park View.
I couldn't see a park.
Liars.

kdf said...

Clearly it's about the proprietor, an old Korean bloke who watches the crowd every night :)

wv: untaxo. yes please, Mr Harper.