Tuesday 6 June 2006

666

Even the media have run out of news. Tony's been on holiday in Italy, but he's back holding the reins again. There was a breaking news item earlier today that a presenter on the children's programme 'Blue Peter' was leaving. Such a legend was he that I'd never heard of him.

There was of course the important news that footballer Wayne Rooney is taking part in training. Good, good, keep it up boy. And the rest seems similar, Tony backs police, yup, way to go, Iran having a happy five minutes, excellent, Iraq releasing some prisoners, but not the ones that have actually been involved in any illegal activities, good show.

I read a blog as a link from a newsblog that suggested that the 17 terrorist suspects captured in Ontario were victims of an RCMP sting - which kind of suggests they had run out of things to do, were it not an exceedingly ridiculous claim in the first place.

The only really good story of the day is that of two women who married in Canada and who are trying to gain recognition in the British family courts for that marriage. And BLOODY good for them. I agree with everything they say and it is just mind-numbingly stupid to be discriminating against people in law on the basis of sexuality. I can't even begin to get my head round it. I have so many friends who are gay and what the fuck is the difference between any of them or me? Nothing, absolutely nothing that is of any consequence. It's almost like being in the days when Emmeline Pankhurst was fighting for the simple right of half the population to vote. But at least these two women are up for the fight and good on them.

Still, ya know, what with the date and all I was kind of expecting something creepy to happen, somewhere. Something other than a re-release of the Omen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i forgot it was 666. How interesting. no wonder i'm feeling even more paranoid than usual. (yes, that is possible).
Hmmm. Perhaps I will suggest the Second Coming happen now. Although, wait, the day is over now in other parts of the world. how confusing.
- Karen

Anonymous said...

The original OMEN scared the shit out of me. Course I don't want to see this one -- bo-o-o-ring. Funny how times change.
It's hot here, Janis. You'd love the weather. I was out doing errands today and of course have no air cond. in my ancient car, so sweat poured down my neck and back and I drove to our little local park and parked in the shade, opened my car door wide and leaned back. Friends of my daughter with their kids arrived and came over to talk to me -- thought there might be something wrong with me (of course there's always something wrong with me). However, they didn't drive me away. I stayed and stared up at the cloudless sky and the different green shades of the trees and found a scrap of paper and wrote ideas for a chapter.
Got two new members for sure for Haberdashers and there might be more. Met at Bruce's last night and guess what -- Karen didn't come. I was astonished. (Joke). She hasn't got a passport for Delta. Speaking of passports or Visas, how is yours going? Missed your comments on my piece, Janis. Always value them very highly. Will you be back next week at Karen's? Or do you need a passport to go to Trout Lake? AR