Sunday 4 June 2006

Swallows and Amazons


If you could go to Sainsburys online and order a perfect evening, this evening would have been it.
The day had been warm and sunny again, I sat out on the lawn with my son Laurence, watching the swallows wheeling around the sky. Well, I was watching the swallows, he was asking me awkward questions about people's sex lives in the style of Ali-G.

By evening there was just the right amount of cloud cover to make you feel as though you were snuggled in one huge duvet, warm and cosy. I cooked dinner for Laurence and Ben and we ate out on the patio. At some point there were a few sprinkles of rain but not enough to make us run inside, in fact it made it more perfect.

Laurence adjourned to the pub before pudding, so Ben and I ate that alone before he had to return to his last minute cramming, GCSEs start in earnest tomorrow morning, teenagers across the country will be grappling with mind-numbing maths.

Another warmth is surprisingly the build up to the World Cup. Wherever you look now, there are little strings of flags - across shop fronts, across the street and of course, on people's cars. Before I left Surrey I noticed a white van which had a red cross painted on its bonnet as well as little flags flying like the feathers in Asterix's helmet from the sides of it. No, not that helmet, good grief, this is a family blog. Oh, ok, well it's mine, so it's family when I feel like it, but I wouldn't be that rude, even after an afternoon with Lars.

And Amazons? Well, Simmi sent me this link a couple of days ago, and it just seemed so right to me. You can't have Batwoman having a weakness, as men can be. I see Batwoman as a more Shane from the L-Word type of lesbian, doing her own thing the way she wants, although their description seems to suggest more of a Bette from the L-Word type of character. However, it sits well. Good on ya DC Comics. I hope she bloody well flies in and kicks George W. where it hurts, although where there's no sense there's no feeling, I am just too horrified by his proposed constitutional ammendment about gay marriage to even start on that one, so I won't, I'll leave that for now.

All too much for an Amazon to swallow really. No not that kind of swallow, gaagh, I already told you, this is a ....oh well, never mind, time for bed said Zebedee.

No comments: