Saturday 17 June 2006

Birthday part deux


No,no, not my birthday, her Majesty's. Like me she has an official birthday and a real birthday, just that mine are on the same day.

I'm sure that throughout Britain, people are celebrating by having street parties, I only know about one and that is the party in Simmi's street. I wish I were there for that. On the basis that Simmi's household know how to have a damn fine party, even to the extent that one can be rustled up on the spur of the moment using only mobile phones, I have very high expectations of the potential for festivities in the street as a whole.

There will be a bouncy castle, Eilie has even insisted on grown up time on the bouncy castle being factored in. There will be races, games, activities, music, barbecuing, drinking.
As Robert Browning might have said were he not too obsessed with wildlife and flowers,
'Oh to be in England, now that summer's (almost) there,
And whoever wakes in England, see some morning, unaware,
That the lowest branch on the trees lining Simmi's street,
Are covered in bunting and it all looks a treat,
And the PA blares from the lowest bough,
In England, now'

Oh, alright, so Robert Browning was a great poet living in Italy and I'm a blogger living in Canada. But I CAN SMELL THE SAUSAGES FROM HERE!!!

Meanwhile, in Vancouver, there is some kind of street party going on downtown, seems like Commercial Drive is allowing drinking in the street today. My friend told me about this although she wasn't sure what it was in aid of. British friends might think the phrase 'allowing drinking in the street' is odd, but here, if a pub or restaurant has chairs out the front, if drink is to be consumed, then the section must be cordoned off. The street must be protected from the drinkers.

Over the bridge in Richmond, we have a problem with bunnies. It sounds cute, but it really isn't. If you read the article, you will see that part of the problem is 'pets dumped at the Richmond Nature Park over the years.' Yes, the very Nature Park where I portrayed Darwin the Drone this week. And it is true, only this week, Chris was out with a cage trying to catch a big old bunny sitting out there bold as brass, doing bunny-like things and in all probability working his way up to doing other bunny-like things which will no doubt result in even more bunnies.

My own solution to this would be to send Daniel the groundsman out with a gun - and there is a Sasquatch costume for Daniel, so that might be a nice theatrical twist, Sasquatch with a gun popping out of the trees every so often although - Lori and I have creative differences about how much it's reasonable to scare children and she's the boss so......

The night market is on at the moment, so I envisage ready roasted organically produced rabbit hanging from the stalls, and why not? The little blighters are clearly not corn-fed like chickens, but rather berry-fed, they should be delish.

Ah well. In my mind's nose I can still smell those barbied sausages and in my mind's ear I can hear the music. Several of my proxies are there enjoying the party, I will have to bop vicariously.

4 comments:

heelers said...

My cousin Yankee Joe says that British Columbia is one step short of heaven. I'm just saying is all. James

Schneewittchen said...

You gotta believe it :)

Anonymous said...

used to be a bunny park in Ladner where people did that very thing -- dropped bunnies off -- but after a year or two they cleaned the park up (ie. got rid of said rabbits). party on simmi's street sounds loverly. god bless old queen bess #2.

Anonymous said...

We had a great time!!! Laurence was brilliant. Your Grandkids are beautiful and a good time was had by all!

Simmi