Saturday 3 June 2006

Skies

Weird. Kevin is crossing the Atlantic right now - without me. Nothing unusual about that, a common occurrence over the years, but now that I live there it seems strange, like I am abandoned here in this beloved land.

The skies are still blue, the day has been hot, the lobster classes have all been out there frying their delicate flesh in the radiant heat. Those who prefer their children and their own skins to last longer cover up with hats and sunscreen and layers of cotton.

England's football team have amused themselves on the pitch by beating Jamaica 6-nil in a friendly match and Ben's assorted crew have all been round watching the match, loudly.

Yesterday evening, Austen and Sue created a going away feast for us, everything wonderful that we both love to eat was on the menu in course after course accompanied by Champagne and Cava and finally the ice wine we brought with us. So strange that I'm still here after the going away feast, but I do have one or two things still to do.

An astonishing text from my sister told me that her husband is coming home, as though he'd been away at sea. She said it's what she wants, and so I'm pleased for her, but the children are not at all happy. I'm pleased for all of us really, he was part of the family and it was odd to think that we'd never see him again, but that too will be strange, for just a while. I hope my niece and nephew can find a way to take him back too.

No comments: