Friday 16 June 2006

No Worries

Is there such a state as 'no worries'? I mean, I know when you are happily drunk, or the other thing that I have never myself experienced, there is a point when you feel worry free, or is it that the worry monster is in there, but the drink or the herbals are just sitting on it?

Every time I am in some stressed-out period of my life, I think, 'this too will pass, then everything'll be ok'. And then some other thing comes along to worry about.

When I was away, there was a background worry about getting my passport back, then the worry about what the immigration interview would be like. Now I have the worry of everyone sending the correct bits of paper to the BC teachers' college, and the worry of the kids' interviews and exams and agh....always something.

But what I mean is, I'm pretty sure I'm far from unique. I'm sure that most of the people I know have a steady stream of things to worry about going through their heads all the time.

I'm also sure that there are heirarchies of things to worry about, certainly there have been times when the whole worry state is more intense than at others. There are also worries we manage more than others. I'm worried for example, that I can see dust from where I'm sitting, but not so worried that I've leapt up and dusted it.
Back in the days when we had paper bank statements, even though I always pretty much knew how much I had spent, I would worry about opening them, and to the extent that I often wouldn't. For some inexplicable reason, this doesn't happen now that all I have to do is look online.

Here's my thrust though, ooh, Missus. Are there people who simply have no worries? Because, I'm not convinced that worrying about stuff has an effect on the outcome of anything, in which case, what's the bloody point?
Maybe worrying is like having levels of some hormone in the blood, some people have it and some, well, just don't. One thing I know is that some people have it but hide it well.

Is worrying like a Suduko puzzle, or a crossword ? Once every clue has been answered, every line adjusted, is there a state of freedom from worry, or are we simply cursed to carry a bag of worries around with us throughout our lives ?

- Worried of Richmond, BC

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Worry is a CONDITION. It floats through your mind like a geyser and stops where it may -- coating that part of your mind with THINGS. And the THINGS eat at you, devour your until all that is left is the WORRY.
It took me many years but I did learn how to handle it. If it happens in bed at night and I can't sleep, then I read and hope that I'll get sleepy enough that the WORRY THING will evaporate into the night. But if it doesn't, then you have to begin in the morning, after the shower normally -- you sit down and face it dead on. What am I worried about? What is the problem? Sometimes I have to write it down, better to write than use the computer, but usually not necessary to write it. But I do have to sit and FACE IT. LOOK AT IT DEAD-ON, STRAIGHT and not sideways. The answer will come much faster than you can imagine. Your worry about the Visa was a real one and easily faced -- I get it now or I don't. But I can wait to get it. I am able to.
Now you are worried about your future job. But your life now is good, you are enjoying volunteering in the parks -- so concentrate on NOW and let the future take care of itself, once you have faced it and done everything that is required of you. You can'd do more than that. That's something you must accept and the worry will go away. That tenuous thread that slips through your mind -- the worry thread -- it needs to be fought and you can only do that when you FACE it.
Enough.
But this usually works for me. And I am the worriest person in the world. Much of the time about not a hell of a lot.AR

Schneewittchen said...

Thank-you Anne, I know you're right. I also have this niggling feeling that worry is a condition that is worse in women.

Anonymous said...

Worrying is genetic. If you had a parent who was a worrier, your chances of having the condition are increased!!

Simmi