Saturday 24 June 2006

Kelowna

We left early this morning to drive up country, and my god it was a breathtaking drive in places, so guess what, I took a picture of a small town we stopped in to have food. Food in small town - weirdness. I have said before how I have been short-changed on the alcohol rations by thinking that cider here is...well, cider. WRONG! Cider here may be cider, but it may also just be apple juice. You need to know this in case you come to Canada and think you are ordering or being offered alcoholic refreshment.

So we're in this restaurant in a little one horse town called Merrit, and there is cider on the menu. So I ask, is it or isn't it? It is, the real deal. Ok, so I'll have that then please. Five minutes later the serving wench comes back and asks what type of alcohol I'd like in my cider. I beg yours? What? I'd like cider alcohol in my cider.
'No, only, I have to make the cider, so do you want vodka or tequila in it?' Holy raised eyebrows batman - I had the vin rouge instead. And even that was a mistake, but there we must end the cider saga.

Back to breathtaking. I have been frequently struck by how similar the paysage is here to that of Germany, and was again today.
'My,' I said, 'how spectacular the mountains are here,' I say,
'Hills,' I am corrected, 'we haven't gotten to the mountains yet, those are hills.' Wow. I'm stunned.

I'm not sure I quite got about the desert bit here, it is certainly very hot, very hot indeed, 35 degrees today. And many of the buildings here are mock mexican, but it is very beautiful, and to ease the heat there is good air conditioning in the motel, plus a swimming pool.

And now I must sleep. Goodnight all.

No comments: