Thursday 5 October 2006

Civic Duty

Cycled down to the bank this morning - maybe half a mile and then couldn't find anywhere to lock the bike up. Well, not a proper place anyway, so I chained it to a drainpipe.
I feel it is my duty as a citizen to ask questions even when I already know the answer, this is to make a point of course. Ok, I may not be a citizen of Canada, but I am a citizen of somewhere, ergo - I have a civic duty.

I asked the cashier where the bike racks were. This threw her. She had to summon someone to ask. The cashier then remembered there were some bike racks at Shoppers Drug Mart, which is like leaving my bike at home and walking to the bank, not impossible, but a pointless thing for her to suggest really.
The supervisor acted like this was the first time anyone had brought the subject up, but supposed that the lack of bike racks must be why people bring their bikes into the bank. Duh.

Here in Canada, we are preparing for Harvest Thanksgiving. We actually get a day off for this on Monday, so a long weekend. We seem to have more bank holidays here than in Britain, and I think they're quite well spaced, in Britain you go from August Bank Holiday to Christmas with nothing.
At the Nature Park the cranberries are ripe, they look like rubies nestling in their green foliage.
Tomorrow, Lori, Joanne and I go to pack cranberries for our cranberry sale, we can't use our own ones from the Park, there aren't enough, but the Ocean Spray factory is nearby and they donate them.

Tonight is a very special night in the Schneewittchen household. Series three of Little Britain starts on BBC Canada. How long we have waited. Ah Daffyd, how I have missed you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please for the love of god tape it for me. I need a good laugh.
We do have lots of holidays - 10 stats a year apparently and there is a big stretch of nothing from Christmas to Easter. Alberta has a "family day"
in February to break it up. I was there from 1992-1995 and on family day broke into a house with a family and spent the day with them.
- Karen

Matt said...

Fascinating blog with great pictures. I have many connections with Canada and think it's a great country. Good luck with everything.

Schneewittchen said...

Thanks Matt.

Seems to me you do that a lot Karen my little piranha.