Friday 27 October 2006

No Curse

Fear not, I'm not telling you things you don't want to know about my lady's cycles - and by that I do not mean bikes. No, the curse of which I speak is that old Chinese one,
'May you live in interesting times' - today wasn't so I'm thinking that just for today, I'm not.

Even the usual things I moan about didn't happen. A motorist in front of me who was ignoring the green filter light in our lane because he was on his phone and then as soon as the filter light went off, sped up like a rhino charging blindly at the oncoming traffic...... got away with it because a more competent driver coming the other way managed to swerve in the nick of time. Ah well, didn't really want some innocent person to get killed just for material for me.

I went to the interview with the Recruitment Consultant. Hopeful I was about this. My hope was kicked up a notch when she immediately asked me for my CV.
'I gave it to you on Tuesday, and I e-mailed it to you the same day,' I said, but my hopes were dashed, she reached into a file and pulled it out.
But then my hopes were undashed,
'Do you know how to find my e-mail?' she said, showing me her Outlook Inbox. She'd managed to lose a stupid button they have on there. No, not THE stupid button. I found it for her and for the rest of the time she asked appropriate and un-stoopid questions. Dammit!

Went to Superstore, nothing untoward happened. Random strangers asked my advice on purchases/stacking their shopping/told me about their dogs, but this normally happens to me, nothing unusual in that.

I pondered a while about how the French labelling on things is often more accurate than the English, Superstore were offering a 'Virtual Flat screen TV' and I thought that sounded a bit useless, who wants a virtual screen? But then I looked at the French and it said 'Ecran presque plat' so almost flat then, much better. Unfortunately the next thing I looked at let me down, it was something to do with Sponge Bob Square Pants, but he's just 'Bob the Sponge' in French. Disappointing.

See, it's not that I want something bad to happen, far from it, but I have come to expect a certain level of comic incompetence and I realise I've become slightly dependent on it. Ah well, I'll just have to raise my game I suppose.
And I certainly mustn't grumble.

5 comments:

Sleepy said...

Perhaps you should go for her job?

Anonymous said...

That read like you had a bad day yesterday. I guess those days are like reading a crap book or seeing a duff film - you gotta experience the naff to appreciate the good.

Bonfire night here next week. The pyromaniacs of the village are already sending lights in to the sky and bangs across the hillside. They love it - my cat hates it. At night he cuddles up close to me for some comfort. I look in to his scared eyes and think that once I liked fireworks but now I ain't so sure...

Anonymous said...

When you do have a dull day like that you should phone your daughter. Even if her day was dull she would speak really fast and make it sound really exciting. Which i think is what you need sometimes - a good laugh, even if it is at her, I'm sure she wouldn't mind in the least.

Anonymous said...

I found this funny:

Canada for a better economy, and better national infrastructure.

England for better weather, music, and education.

No one nation is better than the other, they both have pros and cons.

Schneewittchen said...

Sleepy - sounds like an idea doesn't it, until you realise that the main qualifications for her job seem to be a willingness to maintain a permanent George Hamilton tan and make-up that you can trowel on. She is a nice lady tho.

Nigel - Ah, I DO miss bonfire night, no doubt about it, tho I don't miss the pre-emptive month of fireworks and general pyrotechnics.

Sarah - Well I would have said that that doesn't work because she's never bloody well in her room but now, my son has insisted she get an ansaphone so even if I can't actually speak to her, I can leave a message, so yes, yer right, I should do that more.

Tom - I'd arm wrestle you over the infrastructure, I am constantly stymied here by the lack of infrastructure but yes, point taken. Oh and Canadian music is pretty blinding, must be all that Celtic influence.