Sunday 1 October 2006

Moving and Moments

Yesterday evening there was a moment. I was just sitting on a bar stool at the kitchen counter, watching Kevin cook. Early autumn evening, the comforting enfolding of the darkness, a glass of Mortlach. I love the smell of the whisky, the colour of it. The flavour and fire as I sip it. That sip, like the mouthful of communion wine. The wine, the whisky, only have flavour because I taste them.
Downstairs, my son.
My moment, just a moment of pure contentment.

Later in the evening, we watched a film I had been looking forward to seeing, Kinky Boots. Lola, drag queen, always does what she's told not to, and arrives in Northampton to collect her boots and take them back to London. But in full drag she gets given a rough time outside of London.
She pauses as she gets into the car. She is a magnificent, beautiful black woman. She sweeps aside her long hair with a perfectly manicured hand.
'Lola!' says the boot maker,
'I made a mistake,' says Lola, and, emphasising every word she says, 'Lola doesn't do North.' It was a wonderful moment.

Today we moved Karen. She had packed and piled and it took a small group of friends just three hours to move her and eat pizza. I wish her luck in her new flat, it's a lovely place and I'm glad she has moved there, and I am so glad I was able to be part of her move. I'm sure she'll be verklempt. As usual.

5 comments:

heelers said...

Schnee. You really caught the magic there.
James

Anonymous said...

while not having the internet myself at the moment, I am at Tracy's using her wireless. I am verklempt.
- Karen

Anonymous said...

"The wine, the whisky, only have flavour because I taste them."

And do streams make a gurgling sound when there is noone to listen?

This is Nigel here on a rainy Monday morning in Hindhead. I bumped in to that other guy who took Philosophy A level with me. I said I would send him your blog site URL. But before - what was his name?

Sleepy said...

Did you get wine? I hinted heavily about wine.

Schneewittchen said...

Sleepy, no wine, but I did get my very own can of diet coke.

Heelers, Danke schön, es gefällt mir dass du meine Beschreibung magst:)

Karen, hopefully you have internet now and have had a good night's sleep in your new bed.

Nigel, good to hear from you, I would argue that yes, even tho the streams could be seen to be emitting sound waves, this can only be shown on a certain type of instrument and the sound itself is only because of an interaction with ourselves, as though we were a receiving instrument and one that subjectively interprets data.
I don't remember the name of the bloke, was it the rocket science guy?