Friday 6 October 2006

Cranberries

As soon as I'd typed the title, my head was filled with this summer's Rockstar : Supernova performance by Dilana, who turned the Cranberries 'Zombie' into something beyond magic.

I've spent the morning with my hands deep in cranberries, and it was just the best fun. Of course, I realise that if that were my job, day in, day out, I'd be less enthusiastic about it.

We went to the Ocean Spray factory, yes the actual one that supplies Ocean Spray cranberry juice to a supermarket near you, and I could have walked to it from my house. I know I make it sound like I live in the middle of an industrial estate, I can walk to Ikea in one direction, Ocean Spray in another, but the truth is, you'd never know they were there.

Walking along the main road back from the Park this afternoon - you remember, no footpath, imminent death by cell phone user - I noticed more of the 'shrooms I photographed the other day. They are literally all along the side of the road, and apart from the nibbles from animals, no-one seems to be interested in them. Well, you might say, are they not Amanita Muscaria, and rather toxic?
Ah yes, but they are also the well-known Fly Agaric, the strong hallucinogen that we believe gave rise to the Saint Nicholas and the flying reindeer myth.
I read somewhere that some people smoke pot while ingesting Fly Agaric, to counteract the nausea, and we are told that BC leaf is the best in the world, though mostly we are told this by the BC Marijuana Marketing Council, or BCMMCJKLXYZzzzzzzzz hey man for short.
So, not that it bothers me, because I'm sure that in Richmond people would probably take it whilst simultaneously doing their version of driving and talking on a mobile phone god bless 'em, it's just......odd.

We have been watching the new 'produced by Salma Hayek' series, 'Ugly Betty' and I have found it a lot of fun. It has Tim (Eric Mabius) from the L-Word actually doing rather well in his part as penis-driven Editor-in-Chief Daniel. I loathed him on the L-Word and frequently wanted to stick a fork in his eye, but I love him in this.

But what is the Ricky Gervais connection, hmmmm? The wonderful Dawn from 'the Office', is on it as the presenter of a fashion show called 'Fashion' and from his other series, 'Extras', we have the superb Ashley Jensen. She has her own name, whereas Dawn from the office is always going to be saddled with being Dawn from the Office.
Why do I find it weird that actors who appear in something also appear in something else? Good question, I suppose it's that these are two British actors in an American TV series.

Curiouser and curiouser.

No comments: