Sunday 22 October 2006

Eye of Newt

Wild Things was a great success last night. And someone very powerful must read my blog because no sooner than I had complained about the lack of weather in these parts, than wonderful deep fog was supplied to make our fright night even more creepy.

Joanne was a fly and I was a spider and we were stationed on the pond platform that you can see in the picture. Over the course of the evening we developed a little routine, I had a web, I tried to trick her into my web and during the ensuing mayhem we discussed our respective eating habits, numbers of legs, eyes and other interesting details.

As it grew darker, we became more scary - we knew this because small children started to jump and squeal when they saw a huge spider emerge from the pumpkin lit corner. In spite of this, they started to ask for hugs. I had somehow developed a Transylvannian accent - possibly thanks to Igor earlier on in the week. The children couldn't see our faces, hands, feet, every part of us that wasn't costume was covered in black cloth or mesh. Yet still, one kid came straight up to Jo's fly and said,
'You're Griselda,' - Jo's witch in the Halloween Howl.

One little girl was scarier than us. She arrived with a bat drawn on her face and she told Jo that she liked flies but didn't like spiders.
'Are you scared of spiders?' asked Jo,
'I'm afraid of my dad,' she said,
'Oh,' said Jo, taken aback,
'I'm afraid of him all the time,' said the little girl with mum standing by watching placidly. Bat-face girl turned into a stalker, she kept coming back and threatening to kill me if I ate Jo. She became a bloody nuisance.

At one point while we were performing our little ad lib, it seemed as though someone had grabbed a floodlight and was pointing it straight at us. We could see less than when it was total darkness, but there seemed to be an unusually large crowd at this point so we kept on and on and on.
Later we were told that this had been the local news station. Gulp. Hope our ad lib hadn't gotten too bawdy but hey, there were kids present so most likely not.

A man shoved a little boy towards me.
'Go and make friends with the spider,' he told the boy, 'you need to be aware of your Scottish roots.' Well good thing that no-one had brought the brandy I'd been whining for all evening, because I was able to still access my memory banks and trawl up what he was talking about. My Transylvannian had to become Scots as I reminded the boy about Robert the Bruce, inspired by a wee spider. Dad seemed impressed,
'Not many people know about that,' he said, yeah they do, I thought, if they're English they certainly do. No matter, I don't think it was a five foot six tarantula that helped Robert the Bruce defeat the English though it could probably have been fairly useful.

Finally all the children had been scared, hugged and educated and we were able to get out of our costumes and head for a local hostelry.
Halloween is coming, Halloween is coming.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm scared just hearing about it.
I'm a bit worried about the little girl's fear of her father. Please go, go now and track her down. She was probably annoying because she hoped you would take her home with you (sob!)
Apparently I should dress up on Oct. 31st for work. Last year I wore my only costume - genuine pink scrubs from Lions Gate Hospital. I need something new. I have to outdo tall Judy at work. She is annoying don't you know and demands all of the attention (and the odd thing is that people love to give it to her. Well, except Kristina and me who see right through her. Well, it doesn't irk Kristina of course like it irks me. Yesterday during the gulu walk she put a balloon down her top and pretended to be pregnant for the WHOLE 10.5 km. I thought it was ridiculous. I know I sound petty here but really I need a good costume)
- Karen

Sleepy said...

I'm not seeing the pics!! Please tell me there is photographic evidence of you all spidered up? I want to see, in fact I DEMAND to see! hehehe...

Karen... Are we going 'Bad Taste' or has it got to be in good taste?

Karen said...

well, bad taste might be ok as long as it doesn't offend the tender-hearted students. Can't afford being dragged into the boss' office again.
- Karen

Schneewittchen said...

If you can get here before 18.00 today you can see me on the local news Sleepy. Otherwise yer'll have to wait until photies show up - plenty were taken so I'm sure eventually some will come my way.

Karen, I think you should go as Dafydd Thomas, everyone loves the only gay in the village and this would deffo outdo big Judy. Actually, if you went as big gay Judy it would outdo her. Or go as big bird and see if she recognises herself.

Sleepy said...

I WANT pics!!!!

Karen... Dafydd is perfect!! Or Mfanwy!