Tuesday 27 February 2007

Brevity

Brevity's the mystery cat, he's called 'The Hidden Paw', oh no, wait, that's McCavity. Brevity is the word we decided on at work today, after only the briefest of discussions, that must be the opposite of longevity.

Then we went on to discuss the strange things that happen at the equator, not only does water drain straight downwards, but an egg can be stood on its end without falling over and a person can be more easily pushed over or have their fingers pulled apart if they clasp them.

18.00 hours and still light. How does this happen so suddenly? And how does it happen so suddenly every year and still surprise me?
Here au Canada, we are getting the Canadian version of British Summer time three weeks earlier than usual, instead of the clocks going forward the first week in April, a week after Britain, we are going to be saying très bon and putting the clocks an hour on, the second Sunday in March. Ah, sweet mystery of life.

Brilliant line from last week's 'Little Mosque on the Prairie', the village Bigot says to the cafe owner,
'I don't do drugs,' to which she replies,
'Really, then where do you get your opinions?'

How can Al Gore not be aware of his own $30,000 energy bills for his own household? It was a bit annoying last week when I read that some British conservation society couldn't afford his £85,000 fee to have him speak. I agree that it doesn't negate the message he is giving but he needs to do better than this.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the doctor's office earlier this evening I was reading a Maclean's I think. And there was a rather shocking joke by a well known Muslim comic. Must admit I laughed. It went something like this: "The twin towers falling on Sept. 11, 2001 certainly affected a lot of people." Then he paused. "Especially the people inside the towers."
Oy vay. The writer of the article had some rather negative things to say about Little Mosque on the Prairie, but I only skimmed the article and then the doctor came in.
- Karen

Schneewittchen said...

Maybe that comic shouldn't be giving up the day job.

Little Mosque is on a channel you have, you could watch it.

Hopefully your pre-trip medications are going as planned.

Sleepy said...

I'm going to check out youtube for this show, in return you must give Boston Legal a go.

Schneewittchen said...

Darnit, I swear (down) I was going to watch BL this week. I think it was on last night. Unless it wasn't. Sadly, we have this thing here called 'sweeps' and it's nothing to do with Sooty's side-kick, I don't know what it means, but it means...that we don't get new eps of loads of shows during certain months. it's the pits.

Sleepy said...

Ha Ha Ha!! Swear Down!! Ha Ha Ha

Did you have your hands held out in front of you, palms down as you said that?

Haven't heard that since Mayhem!

Anonymous said...

I loved the preaching at the Oscars that they were "carbon neutral". I've got a good suggestion for lowering the environmental impact of the Academy Awards - don't put them on. Funny, hadn't heard about Al Gore's own household energy bill, but I was thinking about it during his speech at the Oscars. And I was right... I'm probably also right about Leonardo DiCaprio's.

Schneewittchen said...

Sheesh, couldn't even comment on my own blog earlier.

Sleepy - strangely me neither ;)small mercies.

Gail - he's really dropped the ball over this one, he was doing a great job, finally getting the message across. I wasn't at all impressed by his people's assurance that Al is 'carbon neutral' because he 'puts money into forests' what crap, he can give money away because he's rich. He should be making some effort to actually live like the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

whoever invented the term "carbon neutral" should be shot. Okay, maybe that's a bit harsh... Read a great comment about carbon offsets here. It's kind of reminding me of the "Reduce, reuse, recycle" blurb started in the late 80s. Everyone just listened to the last bit and thought they were doing their part by sticking things in the blue bin (even if it wasn't even supposed to go in the blue bin). The kids next door told me that they learned at school "Rethink, reuse, recycle" so looks like the reduce message is completely gone now...

'K, off my soapbox now - funny, I fell off sometime after high school and only just got back on since I procreated...