Sunday 11 February 2007

Small Rodents

I've been right proper poorly, and I'm so not a good patient.
Yesterday I had the throat that makes you think small rodents have died while burrowing into your tonsils. I was cranky. Kev wanted to go to the Daiso store at some sensible hour in the morning.
'But I ache all over and I feel hot and cold at the same time,' I wailed, only to decide at 15.00 that now was the time to go. Wrong! The Daiso store is an Aladdin's Cave of a shop that sells every bit of tin, plastic, paper, that you could ever need. If you thought to yourself for example, 'ooh, wish I had a tin just about this size and shape,' you will find it there.

So, at 15.00 hours on the Saturday before Chinese New Year, and feeling like death warmed up, we went to the Chinese Mall, rather inappropriately named 'Aberdeen Mall'. If you could actually design the worst possible car park with the worst possible access, you would design the entry and parking in the Aberdeen Mall. We ended up stuck in an intersection while the lights changed back and forth and the traffic going in didn't move. And then suddenly it did and there we were, parked and in the main shopping area, surrounded by red Chinese lanterns and the smell of Chinese food and what the Chinese clearly think of as pop music. Well, not quite fair, English language Muzac is pretty bad too.

When we got back, I felt even worse, my temperature went up, the sinuses in my face were on fire, and the aches had become agues. Well, not quite. Still, it allowed me to do some reading.

So, a couple of questions.
1. Why wouldn't you vote for a man who had this headline written about him,
'I used dope at Eaton!' I know, I know, bit of a no-brainer, do you want to be governed by someone who went to Eaton?

2. What is wrong with this statement?
'Daphne du Maurier's lesbian loves on film,' no wait, I haven't got there yet, "It stars Geraldine Somerville in the role of Du Maurier, and Elizabeth McGovern and Janet McTeer as her two great romantic loves," Yes! How can you make a film in Britain without Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, Immelda Staunton or Miriam Margolyes?

Finally, in Hérouxville, Québec, the council published on its website, rules that needed to be followed when you come to live there.
You may not, 'stone women in public, burn them alive, burn them with acid, or circumcise them.'
Well, I feel it had to be said, and maybe the holiday resort of Cape Verde could take a leaf out of their book, where two Italian women tourists were stoned to death and a third barely survived the stoning.

I hope that Italy have something strong up their sleeve to respond with, although since the former premier, Berlusconi refuses to concede that he lost the election ten months ago, not to mention having to publicly apologise to his wife for his propositioning of other women, I think it could take a while.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must be said that after popping in and reading your blog on occasion I have found that you are very quick to generalise countries. Three Italin woman stoned to death, Italy must respond. Something bad happens in Bangledesh, and it is not the fault of the people involved but of the country in its enterity and everyone living there. Perhaps you should learn to seperate that which a country appears to be with those who actually live there. Say for example; good infrastructure and piss annoying, bad weather and great music, incredible cuisine and pompous people. Just a little challenge. It's not like it's unusual. Of Course it is not a sign that I don't love you just a sign that you must be my mother!

Schneewittchen said...

Hmmm....yes, like this, you are studying for a degree in English ergo you should be able to spell it, or at the very least take note of the spellcheck.
I'm not sure I've ever mentioned Bangladesh.
I like that you keep using the word infrastructure, maybe you could use it meaningfully sometime.
Love you too Kitten, now back to work analysing the greats. The other greats that is.
xx

Anonymous said...

bitter words mother. whats the matter? we all love to be challenged other wise we wont learn. no perhaps with a medium so disposable as the internet i am not so wound up by spelling, neither would i bother with the spell check for one comment. i was going to use Thailand as an example but then i thought it would be too obvious who i was, then i decided not to remain anonymous. i noticed how you could not defend the comment i made just how i spelllleed it. i do believe you're getting rusty!! what ho?! xxx

Anonymous said...

love you mummy x

Schneewittchen said...

Minx!
xxxx