Sunday 18 February 2007

Year of the Pig

Why is it so good to have your back scratched? You get an itch, you try to perform amazing feats of physical what-not to scratch it and then you get someone else to do it. Then your whole back starts itching, but what bliss to have it scratched. Like a pig in clover.

Anyway, Happy Chinese New Year. We celebrated Chinese New Year last night with colleagues of Kevin's and I was given some strange insights.

During the afternoon I had covered lunch in Richmond town centre, the Nature Park had a stand with other heritage sites from the city. We had a beaver pelt and a muskrat skin out and we answered questions, smiled, engaged people in conversation. All kinds of people. I feel that Canadians are much more interested in Natural History than I'm used to back home, they seem to engage with it more easily, but then maybe we just are surrounded by more of it here. And maybe I'm just in a situation now where that is my milieu.

The party started early, around 17.30. Kevin gets frustrated by my lack of progress in my own cultural integration. I find it hard. To me, 17.30 is early. Dinner at 18.00 is early. Whatever.

A Chinese colleague got a lift with us. She asked me whether I liked Vancouver and I said yes, I loved both Vancouver and Richmond. She seemed very surprised.
'But there are so many Chinese people in Richmond,' she said. I said that this didn't really worry me. She said that people didn't like to live near Chinese people and would sell their houses. I suppose that's not an unknown phenomenon for anyone who has lived through the 70s in Britain, except for Chinese insert black people and Asians.
Later she told us that even many Chinese people avoided our city because there were so many other Chinese.

When we were at the party, one white Canadian had lived in Japan. He said that they were very open about their racism and that he had been told many times that he couldn't be employed because he was white. I didn't think to pursue whether he was actually entitled to work there, but it seemed to me that it was an outrageous thing. The West heavily sanctioned South Africa over Apartheid.
'I didn't mind,' he said, he loved Japan, 'it allowed Japan to stay Japanese.'

The friends we were visiting are a couple with a young baby. The husband is Indian, the wife Chinese.
'X-H's mother is coming over in the summer to look after the baby when X-H goes back to work,' said our other friend on the way home, 'but she isn't very happy about X-H marrying an Indian.'
Again, stunned. So much multi-culturalism causing so much trouble. But it'll all quieten down eventually. The Indian husband's family are wonderful people, who could not come to love them?

Racism's a pig.

7 comments:

Sleepy said...

I couldn't live anywhere that didn't have an Indian community. I'd die without curry!

Schneewittchen said...

Indian food here is different. I feel that my constant whingeing about such things is educational. Others may not agree.
Mrs.Patak is my saviour.

Sleepy said...

I spoke to Bub, at The Bombay, about this.
The thing in Canada and North America is, all the Indians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis are Property owners and Landlords.
Restaurant/Take Away ownership is perceived as beneath them.
Which is interesting.

Schneewittchen said...

Ooh er, yes it is. We do have Indian restaurants, but the ones I have checked out so far have had a more limited choice than we're used to in Britain. There is one ubiquitous dish here, called 'Butter Chicken', though I have ascertained that it is our Murkhani Murgh. There are lots of dishes I haven't yet managed to find, but there are still many restaurants to check out.
What would be very helpful in the meantime would be an Indian at terminal three arrivals at Heathrow. Or someone who rushes up with a Peshwari Naan, a chicken jalfrezi and some aloo sag as a 'welcome to Britain' package as you step out of customs.

Sleepy said...

First thing I do after returning from holiday is eat my next meal at an 'Indian'... Or order in!

Anonymous said...

Once I had Indian food in London, I wasn't sure how I could go back to "Canadian Indian" food. And that was at some Soho tourist trap... There are a few good places out here, Janis, though they still don't compare to the UK. My English parents went twice in one visit here to the Jewel of India in Gastown. The place is always empty but I think they do most of their trade in takeout. Hmm, maybe you and Kevin should come out this way for some of that... The best Indian I've had out here, however, has been homemade by Indian friends.

Schneewittchen said...

Always glad to have recommendations Gail, ta. If you are ever in Pompey, Sleepy and I have a couple of faves.