Thursday 22 February 2007

Wolverine

I can honestly say that I had no idea what a wolverine was until working in environmental interpretation in Canada. Nor, to be honest, had I wondered about it. Fancy name alright. But the truth is that a wolverine looks nothing like a wolf. Nor does it look like Hugh Jackman. Although come to thing of it, even Hugh Jackman's character doesn't look like Hugh Jackman.
A wolverine is a member of the same family as a weasel. It must be one of the few animals that has a name that is far more impressive than the animal itself. Oh I'm sure it has its fans, but wolf-like it ain't.

Wolves, on the other hand, are apparently being introduced back into Scotland, or at least that's the plan. Britain's last wild wolf was killed in 1743, so there is an inherent irony in this plan. However it's being considered in order to control the red deer population which would mean an increase in re-forestation and plant and bird diversity. So, of course, would allowing people to hunt, kill and eat them, whatever. The problem is that this same plan was put into action in Yellowstone. That's like Jellystone only without the talking bears, your picker-nick basket is no safer though.
What happened was that the wolves started venturing onto smallholdings and ranches and very soon, cattle were going missing. Hmm...possibly the very same reason they were all killed in the first place. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Speaking of deer, a caribou is the North American name for the reindeer. We discovered this today. Somehow though, I can't imagine Frank Black of the Pixies having quite the same impact singing, 'reindeeeeeeeeer, reindeeeeeeer!' On t'other hand, would we be so trusting of Father Christmas if he travelled with flying caribou? Maybe not.

So, I'm wondering if, by eating healthily, I'm making my system more intolerant. It seems to protest now whenever it gets anything out of the ordinary. Yesterday, Lori and I went and got a Chinese food combo from Save-On Foods. Yummy, but my tummy protested all afternoon. And when I was in Pompey, I could live all week on a meal for four from Tang's with no ill effects whatsoever.

Now I love 'Heroes', and I love Christopher Ecclestone. I'm just not sure the two go together. Chris has a somewhat different acting style. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but it does seem to not quite mesh. I realise I may have to wait six weeks or so for other opinions on this.

I really don't know why I continue to watch CSI Miami. It is just so formulaic. Yesterday, Horatio was interrogating a witness. The investigating detective calls him over because he's found a trail of blood.
'Look, a trail of blood,' he says, 'it appears to go around the back of the house.'
David Caruso does his head down but eyes up trademark look and says,
'Follow it Frank.'
I mean seriously?! Would a detective call over someone else to tell him to follow a trail of blood. And it's all like that. they must be getting a computer to write their screenplay.

What's that you say? Could I do any better? Damn straight I could, and so could you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You think a wolverine is a bit of a pussy cat maybe? What's it's bite like?

Tasmanian devils have a great name and make a helluva noise but are they pussy cats?

Wolves in Scotland? Let's hope they don't upset the dwindling wild pussy cat population.

And introduce beavers and caribou to Scotland too, I say.

(Easy for me to say seeing as I don't live there!).

Sleepy said...

Gutted a Wolverine is so poncey.

Anonymous said...

mum are you ok? its saturday and ur friday blog isnt there. im worried. xxxxx

Schneewittchen said...

Nigel - Not a pussy cat no, it can take down a moose if it wants to, not that a moose could put up much of a fight.

beavers in Scotland might not be good for reforestation ;)

Sleepy - Yeah, you kinda want it to look more impressive.

Kitten - I'm fine ta, glad you're well enough to be back at uni, hope your voice is back.
xxxxx