Wednesday 28 February 2007

Proclaiming

We had a sprinkling of snow this morning. So sprinkled was it that I didn't even notice at first. Then small snowballs or soft hailstones or some such started falling from the sky onto me as I walked to work.

Last night we watched an episode of 'How I Met your Mother', in case it hasn't yet reached the UK, this is the comedy I have mentioned before with Alyson Hannigan and Neil Patrick Harris, and most excellent it is. The joke running through the episode was that a tape was stuck in the player in Marshall's car and only one song could be played, the Proclaimer's 'Five Hundred Miles'. And it was well done, I love that track, and it was an inspired choice because it was a strong enough song to stand the joke and still survive.

I'm pretty sure that every road tape I ever made must have had a Proclaimers track on it, their songs are such good road music, very urgent, thumping, and who can resist belting out lyrics in a Glaswegian accent while driving? The Proclaimers are also good as background music if you have people round, what I wouldn't do is sit and just listen to them in the way I'd listen to that other Scots band I've virtually never mentioned, Snow Patrol.

And then back before time began, oh, alright, a wee, wee* while ago, there was Wet, Wet, Wet. Yes, they made more than just 'Love is all Around' and of course the band did consist of more than just Marty Pellow, well, it is rumoured that that was the case. Anyway, my connection here is that they were a Scots band, in fact, like the Proclaimers, they were from Glasgow.

Where am I going with this? Absolutely nowhere. The Scots make stonkingly good music, I think the last band I gave any room too was Stiltskin, so there you go.

Today is an odd day for me work wise, I have done a morning programme and have come home, done a few tasks, spoken to my daughter on the phone, only to go back in an hour's time because we have a late afternoon, early evening 'Science Jam' in the town centre. I hope I don't have to play any scientific music because that's what it sounds like. In case I do, I'll loudly sing 'Five Hundred Miles' in the car on the way there.

* I mean 'wee' in the sense that it is a Scottish word, not the rather horrid Pompey 'weeeeee' which just makes you want to stick your fingers in your ears and go 'lalalalalala'. Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it at all.

2 comments:

Sleepy said...

I have that very Proclaimers track on the 'Car CD'!
Check out their surname too!

Didn't Pellow acquire, in true Glaswegian style, a rather heavy duty Smack habit?

Schneewittchen said...

Ah yes! I didn't even think of that (surname)
Marty Pellow?! Of course not, *fingers in ears again* lalalalalalalala.....