Monday 5 February 2007

Nutmeg

Yes, I know you don't get nutmeg from hazel catkins, I was just amazed to see them on the bare twigs already.

Since my supply of Horlicks Light ran out, I have been preparing myself a bedtime drink made with skimmed milk, vanilla, Splenda® and fresh nutmeg grated on the top. I always feel as though I'm shaving wood onto the drink when I grate the nutmeg, and then the fragrance hits me.
For me, nutmeg is a spice that I associate with rice pudding, for Kevin, it's eggnog at Christmas.

But from somewhere, Nigella or just the way one does pick up these things, I had it in my head that nutmeg helps you sleep, and so I did a search to check. Well who knew? Who knew that nutmeg was a 'psychoactive food'? Certainly not I that's for sure.

On another site, someone had scientifically fed himself three tablespoonfuls of the stuff, adding more and more as he experienced no effects, only to realise that nutmeg is no instant high. Even when he did feel anything, it sounded more like menopause than any experience I assume people take psychoactives to promote.

Oh well, I don't think my bedtime drink will endanger me and I can't see me taking any larger quantities.

Not a very prolonged turn around tonight between coming back from work and going out again, so a sprinkling of nutmeg and a shake of a lamb's tail is all I have to offer.

1 comment:

Sleepy said...

I'd read somewhere that Nutmeg was quite trippy, also that too much would kill you.