Tuesday 23 December 2008

The Ads

Christmas TV ads.
For the past couple of years, we seem to have had a surfeit of ads all with different versions of 'Let it snow'. I haven't been aware of them this year, but then we manage to avoid almost all ads by not watching TV in real time. Thus, we skip a lot.

But I was drawn to watch a whole bundle of this year's British Christmas ads because there was an article about them on the Guardian's website. They did mostly seem a bit shabby.
I expected to see Jamie doing something perky with a turkey, but no go.
The Asda one irritated me because, well, I suppose it plays to its own audience and that Perry Como song, 'It's beginning to seem a lot like Christmas,' makes me want to puke right away.

Tesco, trotting out Des O'Connor seem not to have noticed that Desie was always naff even when he was 'young'. So that's a miss.
The Morrisons one was.... half baked. Good snow mileage, but then it all goes Pete Tong.
Iceland - hohum. Jason Donavon, ok, slightly interesting, especially since he seems to have had his hairline restored, but the two chavvie women annoying him are, really, just annoying.
But I have to say, despite the snarky comments of the journo, I rather liked the Co-op ones. They seemed snappy, to the point, and really rather GOT the point I thought.
'I'll give it foive,' as some person used to say on some old pop show back in the 60s. I think it was called, 'Hit or Miss.'

Meanwhile, we wait for more snow. 'Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow..'
Sadly, it looks as though it might well interfere with the one thing which actually makes it Christmas for me and other practitioners of the vampire faith, Midnight Mass.
There might be snow, but without the baby, there's not much point to the bathwater, if you get my drift.

1 comment:

Sleepy said...

Don't get me started with the Christmas ads!