Tuesday 9 December 2008

Wellies

I love my wellies. I do. They let me splash in puddles and paddle through ditches. They let me make excuses to escape the stuffy, overheated office.

I also love the shortest of days, the fast-falling twilight, the mist, the twinkle of early evening lights. It is surely enough in itself.

Yesterday evening, one of my friends read a short piece centred around 'La Pieta', Michelangelo's sculpture depicting the grief of Mary as she held Christ in her arms - as she held her dead son in her arms. That grief is so easily forgotten, so easily overlooked in the story, taken over by the fervour of followers and disciples.

I was amused to read that pupils studying maths and science in England are amongst the highest performers from a study of more than sixty countries. No, that wasn't what amused me, it was that said pupils were achieving more, but enjoying it less.
Oh. Dear.
Education is about education, not about being entertained.

Well, out of all the mess of Canadian politics over the past few weeks, it looks as though one of the parties - the Liberals, are about to get a strong, capable leader. Who thought that could happen?

Last night we saw the last ever episode of Boston Legal and wow, was it an amazing episode. Often, last episodes of great series turn out to be a disappointment, lame, but not this one. This episode exceeded all others and oh sister have there been some great, GREAT programmes. It will be sorely missed.

No comments: