Saturday 20 December 2008

Snow on Cedars

This is what I signed up for, big snow.
Last night it was blizzard-like as we drove through it back from our friend's house.
Kev had to go out to collect his brother from the airport and although there was much snow in Toronto, his plane was held up circling Vancouver, then on the runway waiting to get to the gate.

It almost feels Christmassy.

The night before last, a woman sleeping in a supermarket trolley in Vancouver set fire to herself and died. Emergency services didn't respond quickly because it was reported as a garbage can fire.
Last night there were nine people sleeping in our church.

When we woke up, the snow lay deep and thick and even, but as I drove to church, it started falling and has been doing so ever since.
It`s fabulous and deadly.
The weather forecast has changed to `non-stop snow, well, except Monday`. We`ll see.

I leave you with a Christmas poem by the excellent Scots poet Carol Ann Duffy, as published in the Guardian this past week. Illustrations are by the equally wonderful Posy Simmonds.
I give you - Mrs. Scrooge.

6 comments:

Sleepy said...

I am SO jealous!
It looks gorgeous!

Schneewittchen said...

I spoke to Austen today and we couldn't remember the last time we had snow falling all day long in Southern England, although I think the February of 1987 had about two weeks' worth.

Sleepy said...

It may have fallen on Southern England but I can guarantee it didn't fall in Pompey!

Kateryna said...

I love how you seem to sandwich bad news in between two paragraphs of good.

About the snow though. I need to un-bury my car to actually go anywhere.

Schneewittchen said...

Sleepy - tis such a shame, the city looks so beautiful when it does have that rare snow cover.

Kat - tis the British way, that's how our politicians always tell us things.
It's also the way teachers are trained, find the good things they can do (sometimes precious little) and then hide the bad stuff in there somewhere.

Anonymous said...

The homeless woman's name was Tracey.
My school was open today - Monday - and so students slipped, fell, eventually got buses to school. Tough for the ones who live in North Vancouver. I slipped, fell and almost hitchhiked to work.
Tomorrow should be oy vay with frozen ice.
I told the students our school would only close in the case of a nuclear war. And even then that was iffy.
Merry merry.
- Karen