Wednesday 31 March 2010

Jesus

Whilst there's nothing funny about the current news story about a French National, living in Georgia, U.S.A. and who has now fled to Ontario because he is suspected by the police of trying to BUY a five-year-old child, I'm sorry, but for pity's sake, the man is called 'Molesti' ?????

Alex and Seth saw a bus driver actually reading his newspaper while driving, other drivers don't think the Law about not using phones whilst driving, applies to them. Their union think it's too harsh to suspend them for endangering the lives of their passengers and breaking the law at the same time.

There is a fantastic post on Feministing about the achievement gap between girls and boys and the general hand-wringing about it. Figleaf puts a slightly different, but equally well-written spin on it, and he points us to yet another great post on this topic.
Food for thought.

I'm reading a book called simply, 'Jesus' by Deepak Chopra. I was looking forward to reading it, liked the idea of a fictionalised account of Jesus : The Lost Years, involving lots of cultural and historical detail. Well I've reached about halfway and have run aground. The writing is truly awful, impoverished, lacking style and wordcraft. Maybe I wanted too much, the life of an ordinary Jew living in occupied Rome and how this illiterate man came to be the most famous Rabbi of all time. (Sorry Julia Neuberger and Lionel Blue, but he is). What I get is poor characterisation and an unbelievable and sudden shift into mysticism. I feel a little as though I'm crying foul because someone else has written about my imaginary friend, but it just isn't doing it for me.

4 comments:

Sleepy said...

Anne Rice has written about Jesus- The Early Years..
She might suit you better.

Is the news story an April Fool?

Schneewittchen said...

Ooh, thanks for the tip. I really must read more Anne Rice.

No, deffo not an April Fool, this has been going on for several days.

Anonymous said...

yes i was going to say Anne Rice. She re-embraced her Catholicism a few years ago.
I've never understood the hoopla around Deepak Chopra or for that matter the Dalai Llama. All these men supposedly having a more direct connection to god. eek
- Karen

Schneewittchen said...

Odd isn't it? It's kind of like reclaiming God from all the sinners who were supposedly liberated from exactly that by Jesus's death.