Sunday 25 April 2010

Thin Veil

After church, there was a talk and power point presentation on environmental stewardship. The woman giving the talk has received an award at UBC for her contribution to environmental sustainability. I like the whole 'team talk' thing, it gets your enthusiasm and juices flowing again for the cause, but as ever, only the already converted were there. She started by reaching into the two waste paper bins in the room and the first three items she pulled out of each were recyclable.
She introduced the concept of 'exquisite sufficiency' when talking about consumption reduction.
In spite of being one of the converted, I noticed that of the examples of households that she looked at, the one which most closely resembled my own, was still generating 3.5 tonnes of CO2 per person per annum, whereas the level needed for sustainability is 1.2 tonnes.
I intend to up my game.

Before 'after church', Margaret talked about the places where the veil between the two worlds is thin. I feel that at the moment, that my friend's life hangs in the balance and the veil is thinning around her. I don't want her to go, I so desperately don't want her to go, but maybe it's her time. I have learnt a great deal from the few years I've known her, and I will carry her baton with pride and fervour.
But mostly, I want her to go on carrying it for a while longer.

No comments: