Monday 1 October 2007

Bogwalker

One of those long Mondays.
Programmes have started.
This morning was the first in our 'Bogwalker' series, a drop-in programme for the general public. Frankly, none of us expected anyone to turn up, but they did, and we ran over.
Shaw TV didn't, but I was cool with that.
Alex and I had to scramble to get ready for the afternoon's school session.

When the school was leaving, one of the accompanying adults came and asked me if I were a biologist, 'because I really know what I'm talking about.'
'Nope, I'm just a teacher,' I said, and then realised that I have often replied with that. Just a teacher. Why is that not as good as a biologist? Or anything else for that matter. And you know what? I know the stuff I'm teaching and that's about it, but she thought I knew more because I am a teacher, and I create an impression of confidence.
And I don't mean to be disingenuous, I was flattered by the complement.

I booked a long overdue hair appointment, then had to unbook it because I had forgotten Wednesday evening's meeting.

After writers' group, Kevin and I watched the pilot of 'Aliens in America' the series that has been partly filmed in the school opposite us and some small part of episode five at our Nature House. I liked it. I found the central character very amusing and sympathetic, Kevin was less impressed.
I hope we get to week five at any rate.

2 comments:

kdf said...

never JUST; you ARE. Especially here in BC where the very body that claims to hold the profession in trust, have so little idea of what is is to BE an educator.

Sleepy said...

Here, here