Sunday 21 October 2007

Drawing In

It turned out that the pilot of the small plane that went into the side of a building in Richmond yesterday, was 82 years old.
There is always risk to people driving cars or flying planes, but the risk of allowing someone that age to operate machinery is too great. It was indeed a miracle that more people weren't injured in this accident, although I don't suppose the residents of the block of flats were too impressed by having to be evacuated from their homes until the building can be declared structurally sound again.

Kevin has just told me that the city pays to have them put up in emergency accommodation for six days, but they're not allowed to return to their building for two months.

Last night was the Nature Park's Halloween Event, 'Wild Things'. I was a crow. It's quite good fun once it gets dark, because you can skulk around and scare people, although in general, kids don't fear anything these days. Only one child cried. Another one kept hitting my beak and I told her to go away. Then she apologised, but there was a complete lack of parental intervention.

Last Sunday, Austen and I compared church service readings, and then on Monday I compared with Alex.
It seems that as advertised, across both the Anglican and Catholic communions, and at least over two continents, the New Testament readings are the same.
That's pretty cool in my opinion.

Someone in church noticed that George Bush had signed the visitor book. Can't have been the one we all know if he managed to sign his name.
We sang the hymn again whose tune is 'I vow to thee my country' although the words have been changed to suit the lily-livered.
I wonder where that expression comes from, why would cowardice make your liver white ? Who knows, probably I need to query 'Notes and Queries'.

There is something incredibly stirring about the words,

'I vow to thee my country, all earthly things above,
Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love,
A love that never falters, a love that stands the test,
That lays upon the alter, the dearest and the best,
A love that asks no questions, a love that pays the price,
A love that makes undaunted, the final sacrifice.'

There was a rather good opening sketch to SNL last night (which we watched today). Hillary 'certain-to-be-elected President' spoke about her future victory. I'd like to think it really were that certain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention that I, shock of all shocks, attended an Anglican Church today, sort of in my hood - 37th and Larch. It was the ad in the Georgia Straight that drew me.
Mainly the blue-haired crowd, but I found the ritual and the words calming. may go back. and these are the cool liberal Anglicans, so no stringing up them gays.
- Karen

Schneewittchen said...

Cool! It is calming isn't it? Ephesians and Luke 10?

Sleepy said...

We spoke about that hymn when I was over.
Always a 'hair stand on end-er'.

Schneewittchen said...

Yes we did, and yes, it is.