Tuesday 2 October 2007

Great Blue

It was like a cartoon. I was boldly leading my half of the rather large class from a private Vancouver boys' school out to the bridge. I was confident of being able to show them a stretch of water bristling with frogs. I looked to my right and stopped, my mouth open and with a sweep of my arm I signalled them all to stop and be quiet. They all bumped into one another. The adults crept forward, equally awed. I thought it was about to fly off with its pterodactyl lope, but it simply moved and then stood, motionless.
The frogs of course, had gone. Most likely into the belly of that heron.

Every teacher knows that the more outrageous the name a child is given, the more bizarre its behaviour.
And there are some names, maybe they weren't even names before someone first labelled a child with them, which will necessitate that those parents are pretty much contracted into paying for their kid's education, owing to the propensity towards perpetual torment of such children by the average state school pupil.

Today, we had a child who ticked both of those boxes. Let's just say that the child was named after the type of heavenly being that accompany the Cherubim around the throne of the Deity. Yep.
'But...isn't that....plural?' asked Carmen.
'Yep.'
Hmmm....

Now I'm not going to explain this, you'll either know, or you'll not know, but you don't want to be telling Sig Hansen that you have a court date that you thought you'd be back for, when he's halfway through a trip. No siree Bob, you don't wanna be doing that.

On Friday afternoon, Alex and I put some props out for the seeds programme. One of those props was a plastic parachute man, the sort of thing you might get from a cracker. Cheap and cheerful.
And yet every time this particular prop gets put out, it is stolen. And lo! By Monday morning, it had disappeared.

Schwing.

Wasn't Alan Rickman the ultimate Sheriff of Nottingham? I mean wasn't he even better than the actual sheriff? And by the actual sheriff I mean Alan Wheatley, who played opposite Richard Greene in the old black and white series,
'Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen,
Robin Hood, Robin Hood, with his band of men,
Feared by the bad, loved by the good, Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood.'
Yeah, that one, all steely grey hair and pointy evil looks.

But now.....(well for us, I know that for Brits it's old news)....isn't Keith Allen the most amazing and ultimate Sheriff of Nottingham EVER?!?

I rest my case.

3 comments:

Sleepy said...

Nice one with the Heron! Great pics!

Anonymous said...

i know i dont feature in ur blogs as often as i should be but i still think this alex character should be like alex 2 or something...ok?!

Schneewittchen said...

Ask anyone I work with and you'll find that there's 'Alex' and then there's 'My Alex'.