Sunday 14 October 2007

Diablo

Ok, let's get this out of the way first.
The English rugby team are complete gods because they whipped the French, who are a bunch of preening fairies (not the good kind who work in the entertainment industry, but the bad 'up their own backside' kind) and for having previously seen off the unbeatable Aussies.

If any of them read my blog, I bow to your awesome and supreme rugby skills, and to all rugby fans who read my blog (both of you) is there anything I missed? (Because if there is, I feel sure Sleepy'll have it covered anyway.)

Ok, so, the Devil. I've been giving this some thought recently due to the new and extremely entertaining series, 'Reaper'.
Now, it has always been my understanding that Protestants are not contractually obligated to believe in the Devil, let's face it, we're not even contractually obligated to believe in God, just allow that it's possible she may exist.

So I never have. (Just in the case of the Devil you understand).

When Babylon Five was on, I didn't re-think my stance, but I did start to think around the idea of what Evil might be. All the time the Shadows were just...well, that - big, shadowy, spidery things to be feared, I didn't think too much about them, but as their real purpose started to be revealed, well, it all looked less clear-cut.
The Shadows pitted the younger races against each other so that the weaker ones didn't survive and generally clog up the universe being wimpy, also, the survivors would become stronger. Hmm.... so that seemed to be ...well, quite interesting really.

Then there was Osama et alia. Surely they are evil, their actions and intentions certainly are. And yet you could argue that they destroy and generally do bad stuff because they believe it is what they should do. Polar opposites, 'The West' and 'The Axis of Evil' (easier than typing out Al Q'aeda, the Taliban, Saddam Hussein etc.) D'oh!
Good and Evil - polar opposites. Is that all we mean by 'Evil', simply the opposite of what we believe is right ?

And then Reaper. Finally back from relatives to an absolute. The Devil in that is kind of naughty, he'll cause a meaningless accident in a supermarket car park by randomly shoving a trolley out. And he obviously oversees Hell. But he's a kind of necessary overseer, like prison warders or traffic wardens. (Only with very white teeth and a spray-on tan).
I can get my head round this, because he's not the antithesis to God, more like God's dirty jobs guy.

Not that I'm suggesting that Al Gore is in any way connected to the Devil, far from it, I can remember being very impressed by his documentary film, 'An Inconvenient Truth'. I'm just not sure it was worth a Nobel Peace prize.
Maybe something bigger than Brownie Points, possibly a letter from someone important - say the Queen or Helen Mirren, or even an honourable mention in the UN tea room, but a Peace prize???

Jon Bon Jovi has been hosting SNL, and doing a damn fine job in my opinion. I'm not a huge fan of SNL, but between Jon and the Foo Fighters, there has been some considerable entertainment value this week.

The picture is the one Crisp-e sent me for my birthday, I've finally found the perfect spot for it, which, I realise from my photo is just 'the wall', but you'll have to take my word for it, it's perfect.
Come and see for yourself if you don't believe me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Certain Protestant denominations - i.e. Pentecostals - are obsessed with the devil and find him everywhere and in everything. From my own past experience, there's a whole lot of pressure not to let "the devil get a foothold in your life." Satan this and Satan that. It takes a whole lot of work to get that kind of thinking out of your brain.
- Karen

Schneewittchen said...

So embrace it Karen, just change the way you think about him/her :))

Sleepy said...

Swing low sweet chariot coming for to carry me home!!
Awesome! Just totally awesome!