Sunday 7 October 2007

Lemony

I do feel ok really. The RCMP officer told me I would ache today, but I don't. I know it could still come, so I'll leave it there.

Kevin and I discovered another cultural difference yesterday, and one I hadn't noticed before.
Lemon Meringue Pie.
I always thought this was one of the top puddings when I was a kid, and that in spite of the fact that my mum used to make it with a packet of 'Lemon Meringue Pie Mix'. Birds, the custard people I think.
But here's the thing, it was always a hot pudding for us, yummy cold the next day, but essentially, at its best served warm.

Yet Kevin has never eaten it warm. I have noticed that we always seem to have it cold when we do have it here, but assumed that was for logistical reasons.
The logistics of the LMP.
In Britain, it's one of the few puddings we don't pour custard on. Pies, sponge puddings, crumbles, stewed fruit, anything we can pour custard on, we do, but the LMP gets cream.

I looked up a few recipes from British food Czars and the main dissent seemed to be the amount of time you should leave it to stand after it comes out of the oven, this varied from 0 to 20 minutes. I think Delia might have been the 20 minute leaver.

Kevin cooked a superbly lemony pie yesterday, and since I was needing comfort food, against his own better judgement, put mine back into the oven.
Yummers.

This afternoon we have been listening to Bill Shatner (genuflect) telling us how difficult it will be for people to get to Mars. Very, apparently. However, he felt it might happen, 'in our lifetime', but I'm thinking maybe not so much in his.
May he live for ever, but just in case, well, you know.

We managed to view a couple more new shows that we had backed up yesterday, 'Chuck' which we both thought was excellent, and 'Life' which we felt had potential.

The weather has turned serious. Strong winds and heavy rain. There's a big, fat orb-weaver spider who has spun the most enormous web on our patio. It seems to not be anchored to anything you can see, so the spider is being battered by the wind as its web gets blown around like a see-through sail, it's probably a spider's equivalent to some of those theme park rides.

8 comments:

Sleepy said...

I'm still waiting for Shatner to explode. Mr Creosote stylee!

Custard goes with everything, everything!

Check out the Tudors. It's just started here but I think BBC Canada are a little bit ahead.
I'd be particularly interested in what you make of Mr Rhys Meyers as the king.

And did I mention, Custard goes with everything!

Schneewittchen said...

Yes, it has just started here too, I think we have ep two tomorrow.
I think Jonathon Rhys Meyers isn't doing too well at hiding his Irish accent. The one who plays hmm...I think it's Buckingham....looks more like how I picture Henry the eighth.

Nonetheless, JRM does bring an energy to the part that I think usually gets missed with King Hal, he was supposed to have been very sporty and energetic in his younger days, and he also has a slightly psychotic look about the eyes, and I think Henry Tudor must have been slightly psychotic.
He gave England the most fantastic legacy almost of any monarch except his daughter, and of course he gave us her as well, and yet he was also a very cruel and selfish man.

Sleepy said...

He just doesn't do it for me. I just don't find him believable.
It's not like they haven't got some big names in it, but him?
Just wrong.

Schneewittchen said...

The comments on imdb certainly seem to agree with you :)

Sleepy said...

Oh! I'll check them out!

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was in the Dominican Republic back in March, doing that marathon Showtime TV watching cause of the mini-freakout thing, they were advertising the Tudors every five minutes. Alas, we are more than 6 months behind the United States.
JRM looked hot hot hot.
- Karen

Sleepy said...

JRM hot?
Um.... No

Schneewittchen said...

But LMP hot - oh yes please ma'am!