Friday 19 October 2007

Something in the Air

Weird, a plane crashed into a building near the city centre today killing at least one person.

In Surrey, there was some kind of gas leak by the skytrain station that may have caused injuries.

This evening we had thunder and lightning both at the same time. It's rare here in any case, but that close.... twenty minutes or so later, my friend called from Vancouver and and as lightning flashed here she had the experience we had earlier.

Today is my sister's birthday and co-incidentally, we picked up our new car. It's lovely. And today the dealership was abuzz with the news that the Fit now attracts the government eco-rebate. This makes us happy.

So the Guardian reports that after ten years of Labour rule, the classless society still remains elusive. Well duh. The fact is that anyone in Britain has the opportunity to be socially mobile, but people don't want to. And that's the point, while people had no access to education they had no choices, now they do and they often choose to stay where they were. We value our class system in Britain and too bloody right that's how we judge people, just not in the way a lot of outsiders think. Possibly not in the way some insiders think either.

Today, Alex and I practised the French programme all day. And there was something strange that happened. People stopped and watched us as though transfixed. Ok, to be fair, I was screeching French in a silly voice, and yet..... it was as though these Canadians had never actually heard it spoken before. They weren't laughing, they were just...gazing. My only hope is that the kids on Monday are as entranced.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're trying to 'green' up around here. My dad says I'm a treehugger, but in the good way. I must be lapsed.

Question for ya, Briton: is the London Underground logo copyrighted at all? Any ideas?

Schneewittchen said...

That's great that you're greening up! I guess that wanting to pass on something wonderful, like the planet, to our children focusses us on what is important.
I'm not sure there's a bad way to be a tree-hugger, just a not so cool way;)
I have no idea about the London Underground logo I'm afraid, but since it is the company's logo, I wold think it is in some way protected.