Thursday 10 January 2008

Hills

Last night as I was going to bed, I saw through the glass above the front door that it was snowing. Big flakes were coming down thickly. I went to the window and opened the blind and watched while it increased in speed, covering everything.
After I had gone to bed, I heard the sound of rain on the window pane. By morning the snow had disappeared.

The F-word had a brilliant post yesterday about the level of sexism that Hillary has had to put up with so far. If Osama had to put up with even one moment of racism, all hell would be let loose.
Jess McCabe sums up the list with this observation,

"This has nothing to do with her political stance. Nothing on this list - all from the last two days - has anything to do with her position on any issue. And regardless of our views on Clinton’s specific politics, it’s truly been flabbergasting to see the reaction she has garnered simply for being a woman seeking power."

And you know what else? Half of them can't even spell her name correctly. And yes, I know I always call Barrack Obama Osama, but that's on purpose to wrong foot him in case he reads my blog.

And in other Hillary news, I can't believe that sir Edmund just died - in the sense that I can't believe he was still alive. Still, 88's a good innings, especially when you can say you climbed Mount Everest.

According to the Grauniad, 'Expectations are low for Bush tour'. I can't imagine why. Furthermore, I thought he had Condoleeza to do important foreign stuff, and if she's too busy, why not send Oprah, who seems to have taken to meddling in politics these days?

In the toilet at work, I have been reading a little book of quotes from politician Boris Johnson which was given away free with the Spectator.
I'm not familiar at all with the gentleman or his 'work'. He seems to be an ultra Tory twat as far as I can ascertain. I'm not sure why I've never heard of him apart from the fact that I never read the Tory press, nor do I need to, since Sleepy offers this as a public service and points me in the direction of things to guffaw at.
You have to read this book in the toilet, since some of Boris's...well, Borisisms, would make you pee yourself. Or the other thing.
Today I read, 'if incitement to racial hatred is to be made illegal, then so should the Koran.' I nearly fell off the seat.

I was however, fascinated to read about Koran reader Fatima Bhutto in the Graun. Seems like, although she no more wants political leadership than her cousin, I can see why she is arousing interest.
And not just in Jemima Goldsmith.

I received a letter today, an actual real letter in an envelope, from a Kurdish girl whom I taught when I was in the UK. It was strange timing. I hadn't heard from her since just after leaving England, and she wasn't asking for anything, just wanted to thank me for teaching her.
But when Kevin gave me the letter, I was reading an article by Gerard Alexander, a university teacher who deals with the Holocaust, still on my mind from yesterday.
Alexander was writing about the Kurdish genocide by Saddam Hussein.
Strange how things coincide sometimes.

2 comments:

Sleepy said...

Sassy and I were discussing the very same thing about Hillary and Obama the other evening!

How is our Kurdish friend?
An amazing kid she was.

Schneewittchen said...

It is so unfair. Can you imagine ppl in the street shouting 'boy' comments at Obama? But no-one gets arrested for pinching Hillary's cheeks or shouting at her to iron their stupid shirts. If I were her I'd get one of my lackeys to shout back,
'Who the fuck has shirts you have to iron anyway these days?'

L seems fine, but receiving the letter has made me wonder. I'll be writing back this weekend, see what gives.
On t'other hand, what a difference between those kids who just take teachers for granted or throw it all back in your face, and one who writes just to say, 'thank-you for teaching me.'