Tuesday 29 January 2008

Snow Log

Saturday, snowfall, but no stickage.

Sunday night, light stickage and snowfall as I went to church, but coming back, it had all disappeared.
When we went through Delta to Surrey on Sunday afternoon however, they must have had a heavier snowfall than us and more of it had hung around.

Monday evening, Yvonne and I drove out to Delta and the snow was still thick on the ground, crunchy even, but by the time we were coming back, the snow was coming down fast.

When we got to Richmond, it was lighter, but it must have snowed pretty continuously throughout the night, and was still snowing when I walked to work this morning. Along the side of the main roads, the dirty, gritted slush from the road met the white snow, creating the illusion of a taupe curb to a pure white pavement.

Around mid-morning, a coyote came to the back of the Nature House. By the time I'd turned my camera on, she was gone, but leaving tracks through the fresh snow. So I followed. It was an amazing opportunity, even though I didn't see the coyote again, to see where she had come onto the paths and where she had gone off-trail again.

The bird in the picture is a towhee, a very common bird around here. Pretty too, but with a screech like nails on a blackboard.

On Monday, Alex Y and I went to the Macmillan Space Centre for a course on 'Web 2.0' although to be honest, before I got there, all I'd have been able to tell you was that it was 'something about IT'.
Raymond's Brain was there too. We learnt about elevating our humble websites from flat, one-dimensional, hardly-interactive at all 1.0 dodos to widget-laden, facebook interfacing, revenue-generating, second-life presence legends of the net. Blogging, as far as I could work out, was 2.0 anyway. I still didn't entirely understand what either widgets or mashups are, but in the fullness of time, probably by the time a blog is a three-dimensional holodeck, I might.

Connected with that, kinda, -ish, and because we spent the day looking at photographs of art galleries' collections and such like, when Sleepy sent me this link to the photograph collection of the Library of Congress I had to pass it on.
There are some amazing, and I mean AMAZING photographs from other decades, and of course another century.
Check it out.
Ouch, I think I've said that twice today.

6 comments:

Sleepy said...

Blinding photos!
Gorgeous!
Pissing with rain here. No snow, yet.

Schneewittchen said...

Thank you.
Frustrating isn't it?
I wish you snow.

Sleepy said...

I NEED snow!

Schneewittchen said...

You do, everyone needs snow, it's like absolution.

Sleepy said...

I am in a snow free zone...

STILL!

I need snow or the Priest gets it!

Lent is early and this will drive me in to a confessional before the ACTUAL season is truly upon us.
I'm still stressing about confession!
Had a hectic Nun in the house today.

Schneewittchen said...

Hmm...well looks like there's a bit of precipitation on its way, but much too warm. Stare frostily at people and maybe they'll pass it on and overall it'll bring the temp down.
Other than that, I'll try sending witchy vibes.