Tuesday 1 January 2008

New Year's Day

The house had a chill. Oddly, I could feel it for once, maybe the tiredness. But by the time I woke up, it had warmed up.

The journey home went well, the whole trip was great, the only fly in the ointment the bloody misbehaving macbook.

I think I was surprised that things had changed, moved on in my absence, or maybe progressed further. Green initiatives, and people actually being very involved in them.

And then some things don't change. A main news story while we were over was about a one-year-old child who was killed by the family's 'pet' rottweiler. There had been so signs, apparently, that the dog was aggressive, well apart from the fact that he was a rottweiler of course. Police were on the scene six minutes after they were called and they shot the dog but were unable to save the child.

I was taken by the statistic that in Britain in 1931, there were 2.3 million cars on the road and 7,000 deaths due to motoring accidents, whereas in 2006 there were 33 millions cars on the road and only 3,150 deaths.

Back to work tomorrow for Kevin and me, Laurence was back in today for a half shift. My nephew Jeremy is currently sitting on the tarmac in Chicago, waiting to come to Vancouver. It could be a long night.

Happy New Year. May it bring growth and consolidation. May you have both dreams and determination.
May none of us end it unexpectedly in charge of a country.

2 comments:

Sleepy said...

I would have shot the owners and re-homed the dog.

At least the nephew will have ONE ski boot, who knows? May be a boon on Chicago tarmac!

Schneewittchen said...

Heehee....well, as far as the boot is concerned....I had to put my foot down over that one :))