Friday 11 January 2008

Specs

Spectacles are very personal. They are a functioning part of our body that isn't actually attached to us. Anyone who has lost someone who wore glasses will understand. There you are with their specs and they seem so...personal.

I have needed new specs for some time. Although I hadn't noticed any deterioration, apart from finding the white-on-green street signs impossible to read, I realised I hadn't had my eyes checked since 2004, and 50 seems to be some kind of watershed for eyes. Things can start to degenerate. Plus my specs were starting to get a bit scratched.
And....I had put off looking for an optician over here. It takes years to find the exact right one. But...I had to start somewhere and I was given a recommendation.

I now have some new specs on order. Kevin, who has un-bloody-believable eyesight, couldn't believe the price of lenses, but they seemed reasonable to me. And my eyes had hardly changed at all, turns out it really is the roadsigns that are crap.

Austen sent me a link about Boris Johnson. Apparently he considers Pompey to be a city of 'obesity, drugs, underachievement and Labour MPs'. I suppose it is in a way apart from the Labour MPs. Instead of apologising for him, his party supported him by digging up stats to prove that what he said was true.
Eventually he HAS to be seen as a liability. I s'pose that time simply hasn't come yet.

In Baghdad they had snow.
OJ is back in gaol.

These are the days of miracle and wonder.

2 comments:

Sleepy said...

The optician has a similar monopoly to the dentist.

Until you can grind your own lenses, you're stuck with the robbing fuckers!

Schneewittchen said...

Licences to print money, both of them.