Sunday 20 January 2008

Pink and Green

Maya Angelou is showing how to be gracious and dignified. Despite being closely associated with Oprah Winfrey, Angelou is strongly backing Hillary for the U.S. presidential race, whereas Oprah has stated her support for Obama.
In spite of this, there is no public flailing between the two women, they are showing us how to love and support our friends whilst disagreeing with them.

Last night we finally watched a film we had recorded a while back, 'Infamous', the other film about the obsession of writer Truman Capote with a man who killed a family of four people. When we saw 'Capote' at the cinema, I was full of praise, and it was probably because I'd thought so highly of that film, that I hadn't been in a hurry to see this one.
And yet...
And yet now that I have, I consider 'Infamous' to be the superior film by a long way. I found the characters more...characterfull, the story more carefully woven, lights thrown more cleverly on different aspects and emotions.
Very worth a watch.
Or you could clock it.

I love, love, love the very idea of this band of women that Sleepy sent me a story about. The Pink Vigilantes are a bunch of Indian women, and now includes men, who are out to right wrongs, chiefly against women.
What a fantastic movement. I wish it would come to the Indian dominated area of Surrey here in BC, where it seems as though every other week, a woman, mother, wife, daughter, from the Indian community is murdered, often by menfolk from the family.

At last, Kevin and I have agreed on a colour for our living room. My 'lightening up' of the darker, existing plum, just hadn't worked with the wood of the furniture. We think we've got it right now, we've done a test wall and we're liking it. Now I'm trying to come up with a way that coming and painting a second coat could be described as a legitimate field trip for my assistant and me.
I have great faith in my assistant Alex.
At the board meeting at the beginning of the month, it was decided that I should put in a bid with Young Canada Works for an intern who would come and develop a website for us, and that Alex would do some research into a likely host and perhaps set up a construction page.

I am chasing my own tail writing the bloody bid, but meanwhile, Alex has found a green server and web host, bought the domain name, set up the site and has built a number of pages, and he has done it very well. It grows daily and it is a carefully thought-out and efficient site.
I tried to claim this as a result of my great management skills but people laughed! :)

5 comments:

Sleepy said...

I think Oprah 'phoned Maya and said,
'Help me out here will you! I'm just about to launch my own TV Network and I can do without this shit! Will you DO Hillary for me?"

Is it Eco paint? You could use the decoration of your abode as a 'fact finding' mission to see if you could use this kind of paint at the Nature Park.
Coverage test, skin tests, fumes in confined space test (My particular favourite!)etc.

Schneewittchen said...

Yes! It could work! :))

Schneewittchen said...

Followed by lunch at Ikea for another fact finding mission :)

Sleepy said...

Totally!
The office furniture won't last forever!

Schneewittchen said...

Yes, I s'pose I should stop using it to wheel myself around the office.