Thursday 24 January 2008

Sleepy Hollow

Everyone, so we are told, has a fictional place they would like to be. For me, it would be Sleepy Hollow. There was something so comforting about the enclosed world, the snow, the feeling of mystery. A place you could wrap yourself in like a duvet.
You maybe have to separate the story from the place to understand...if you even want
to.

But there is something drawing and yet scary about the inside of Tim Burton's head. Which is odd, because you may say the same about the outside of his wife's head. Helena Bonham-Carter's famous hair is strangely attractive and yet scary.
All of his little towns and villages, all hypnotic, often snowy, snowy and yet dark.

On another tack, and briefly, I can't decide whether the L-Word's Shane and more precisely, her effect on women is feminist or not. Watching her driving away from yet another scene of sexual mayhem tonight, made me think, 'Well, she's using them like a man, and yet she's not one. So, is this OK? What does it say?' I haven't worked it out yet.
There must be hardly any straight women in LA. Or Vancouver? How confusing, since fictional LA is real Vancouver.
Back to Sleepy Hollow for me I think.
Euphemism?
Don't, I'm confuddled enough.

1 comment:

Sleepy said...

Leave my Hollows out of it!
I have enough problems with my Shallows!