Tuesday 20 May 2008

Thunder

Not much, just a single flash of lightning and one long roll of thunder. Then another this morning. We heard that four planes had been hit at YVR and flights were delayed.

Common sense and reason prevail on one issue in Britain, where MPs have voted NOT to lower the limit on abortions and NOT to change the definition of who can qualify for IVF by inserting a line about having to have a male influence in the life of the child, thus making IVF unavailable to lesbian couples.

Life imitates art in India. Canadian Karen sent me a link about a story concerning two women in a relationship who ended their lives by setting fire to themselves. This was the storyline of Deepa Mehta's film 'Fire'.

Idiocy in the US democratic nomination shenanigans. It seems that Hillary has approximately 60% in numbers of the vote of the people, but Osama has more super-dooper votes. So although more democrats want Hillary as their candidate, it may not happen.
Hmmm....democracy in action - not so much.

2 comments:

Sleepy said...

I can't decide how I feel about the abortion thing.
I'm kind of 'indifferent'.

Although I can't imagine anything more horrific than having children, I'm delighted with the IVF result!
"Father" doesn't have to be the male influence.
Grandfather worked well for me.

Schneewittchen said...

I'm about women having the right to choose, not to mention the fact that abortion freedom affects the crime rate.
I'm also about women's right to choose who they want in their kids' lives too.
Research has repeatedly shown that kids parented by same-sex parents are in no way disadvantaged over kids parented by opposite sex ones.