Friday 8 May 2009

Death and Taxes

"I can honestly say that I was never affected by the question of the success of an undertaking. If I felt it was the right thing to do, I was for it regardless of the possible outcome."
Golda Meir

I'm with Ms. Meir on that.

I find the idea of an unclean animal quite komisch. I mean, when I consider the small number of animals I am prepared to actually eat set against the large number of species in the world, it is small, but I'm happy to have them co-exist nonetheless. I even get the whole Hindu sacred cow thing. Sacred animal, don't eat it, fair enough.
But the Muslim pre-occupation with pigs.....

In the whole of Afghanistan, apparently, they have just one pig, named 'Pig' in Pashto, and I'm sure we all remember from the Kite Runner, that Pashtos are looked down on anyway.

So Khanzir is in the zoo at Kabul, but now, he has to be hidden away from view, because such is the ignorance, probably owing to a dearth of pigs, that if viewed, people will fall ill and die of swine flu.
I'm not sure where the pig could have contracted the virus but then I bet we all know people who think like that. Say 'swine' and they will construct their own story, irrespective of whatever else you have said.
That must be one lonely pig.

In BC, a political candidate has gotten himself into a bit of strife over his campaign slogan, in which he claims, 'I pay taxes'. Well, good man, don't we all. Well don't we?
Ah, no, see his opponent is a First Nations man, and they...well don't pay taxes. Oops.

Meanwhile, that tax money is being put to fine use.
A medical expert in the Robert Dziekanski case - the man who was tasered to death by the police at YVR, has testified that if he hadn't been tasered, he wouldn't have died.
Golly. Glad there was an expert available to tell us that.

4 comments:

Sleepy said...

I'm not a fan of pig but, poor old Khanzir!

Schneewittchen said...

I know, it's odd. I mean I get the not eating it thing, but it never occurred to me that Muslims won't have any truck with the animal.

Sleepy said...

I saw a place when I was Kibbutz-ing where they grew pigs.
In some areas they walked on little runway things so that they didn't actually come in to contact with the ground!

Schneewittchen said...

Ahh!! I bet Khanzir would love that!