Wednesday 20 May 2009

May, Schmay

The Lent Meditation group has continued since Easter, but circumstances have conspired to stop me from going, not to mention that the whole meetings schedule has been ferocious. But tonight, I made it there, and I came out feeling so calm and peaceful.

Unlike yesterday evening, when I had to raise my voice at people. I don't take kindly to being told at a meeting that I need to be sensitive to other people's bigotry - not in so many words you understand, but that was the meaning.

A new TV series starring Jane Lynch, 'Glee', the opening line, having watched some teenagers do an athletic and ultimately stupid gymnastic display, Lynch's character shouts at them,
'You think this is hard? Try being waterboarded, that's hard.' Eh - you had to be there....and see the expression on her face.
The programme seems like fun.
Still, insufficient Lynch.

What is it about May? We have had four birthdays at work and there are only six of us. Tomorrow would have been my mum's birthday and next week is my daughter's. Perhaps the question should be, what is it about August?

I can't believe the Eurovision Song Contest trundles on. But more than that, I can't believe the Norwegians. Blogger Heidi Stephens' writing on the ridiculous contest seem both clever and funny, but Norway was not amused. A cynic might say they've never met a Norwegian who was.
Not me though.

I love this quote from Maryanne Williamson,

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

3 comments:

Sleepy said...

I have birthdays every 3 days in May!
Pain in the hole.

Schneewittchen said...

And today, I get in, and there's a card to sign for someone who USED to work with us.

Anonymous said...

May is the best, better than the rest.