Saturday 26 May 2007

Alex

My only daughter. Today is her birthday. I have been trying to wish her a happy birthday, but tracking her down around London has proved difficult. My elusive daughter. I have left messages on her mobile phone, on her room phone, with her brother. Finally, finally, I got a call-back. I think it's fair to say she has been having fun.

I am currently having some kind of Mexican stand-off with my baby girl. She won't add me as a friend on her Facebook. This seems bizarre to me, but she is adamant. Facebook itself is a strange phenomenon. I signed up because I got an invite from someone, but then didn't do anything with it, it just languished there. In place of my face, just a question mark. Then I added some things to my profile and then the bad hair pics appeared, so I put up one of them. And still I only had two friends.
Kevin, on the other hand, has established quite a flourishing network of friends from when he used to go to school in Toronto. It is working for him.

And then suddenly, mine has sparked to life. Various people have added me as their friend and I can see what they're doing. Of course, I do have to remember to look at it sometimes. But how strange it seems. Like Alice's diagram on the L-Word, only without the sex. And it seems to somehow grow all on its own.
Here is someone I knew back in England, and this is someone she knows, and so on and so forth. Six degrees of separation. I thought it was lame. Now I think it is fascinating.

But my fascination always has a finite life. It needs to be able to work on its own - as indeed it seems to. And of course, while my Alex refuses to be my friend, there is motivation, because there is something I don't have that I want.

Ah well.
Happy Birthday to my girl.
Whenever you stop dancing long enough to read.
She doesn't always pout, it just that, well, I do sometimes.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, i just joined facebook. Through it I discovered that Sarah, remember her from writers group? She is not what we thought she was. Flies straight, as it were. and Tamara, also formerly of DH, now is editor of a magazine. Facebook, putting rumours to rest and bringing people together. There was actually an article about it in the New York Times yesterday and how Facebook is encroaching on myspace.

Karemay said...

Elusive Kids: I know how you feel!
think I may have at last sorted out blog

Sleepy said...

Geminis.. Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em!!!

Schneewittchen said...

Good good Karen, I shall go and look :)

Sleepy - you never said a truer word....

Anonymous said...

GEMINIS FUCKING ROCK THANK YOU, BY FAR THE MOST INTERESTING OF ALL PEOPLE!! XX

Sleepy said...

Only 'one' of them rocks!

Schneewittchen said...

Ooh, nice one! And that is also, so very true!