Thursday 17 May 2007

Spidey

A short post to give the world my view on Spiderman 3 which we went to see tonight after drinks and grub at the Big River.

I found it clichéd, unoriginal and it didn't have to be. There were some grand themes in there that could really have been explored, and some interesting baddies, but all was painted with the garish brush of Hollywood.
I don't want to see a couple's mushy moments, I want to see how they actually feel inside. I don't want cheese on the big screen, I want it room temperature on a rice cracker.
The writing was lazy, the dialogue at times drivel. The citizens of hybrid New York a cross between the 1920's and the beginning of the third Millennium, were portrayed as babbling, gawping imbeciles, rather like the yellow-skinned denizens of Springfield.

If hidden in there was some attempt at irony or deliberate self-parody it was largely lost. The only moments of humour the interplay between the newspaper editor and his over-enthusiastic secretary, empowered with the ability to make his desk vibrate to get his attention. The French Maître D at the restaurant was also worth his paycheck.
And there were some wonderful effects. Nothing we haven't seen before of course, but always worth going to the cinema for.

Peter Parker only became interesting in his Gothic incarnation, although Toby McGuire is no heartthrob whatever hair and make-up does for him. He proved that you have to be evil to be even vaguely cool whilst lurching between Frankie Abbot from 'Please Sir' and a short, specs-less, uncool Jarvis Cocker.

I was hoping for some proper acting from Topher Grace, I feel he owes it to us for
a) Having had Laura Prepon as his girlfriend in 'That 70's Show' - he was so not worthy and
b) Having the most stupid diminutive of a name ever.
But alas, Topher's range extends as far as his own body space.

The film didn't stink. But it certainly didn't rock. I'm sure a lot of money was thrown at it, but I'd like to have seen more of that money thrown at some really good writers and ideas people.

Although Kirsten Dunst's rendition towards the end of the film of a song that I seem to remember Marilyn Munroe singing made me wish that Marilyn had been the only one to have sung it, there was an unknown (to me) treat from Snow Patrol during the credits.

In the midst of this almost banal superhero world, one pearl of wisdom from Peter's long-suffering Auntie.
'You must do the hardest thing in the world Peter, forgive yourself.'

2 comments:

LentenStuffe said...

Wow! This is a superbly written review. I was going to try to fit it in this weekend with the kids, maybe after a trip to Cobh to see sleepy. Now I'm better armed.

It's difficult to sustain the momentum of these blockbusters, especially when the first ones are such coups. But then that doesn't seem to have stopped either Stallone or Willis (I see a new Diehard is coming out).

Glad I read this, though. Nicely done.

Schneewittchen said...

Thank-you kindly.
I love Cobh!!!
Hug Sleepy for me - she's a real hugger, it'll be hard not to.