Thursday 3 May 2007

Es donnert

Thunder and lightning, Donner und Blitz, two separate things that are really one.

Yesterday evening at the meeting at the Nature House, we could hear the torrential rain falling on the cedar shingles and the glass panels of the roof. Then a sudden deep roll of thunder. Pretty rare here I must say, and you can't expect one crack to mean you can snuggle in for an evening of it rolling around the sky, nope, once, maybe twice and that's your lot. Not, to be fair, that I could have done much snuggling in a hard chair at a board meeting.

A new TV series has been advertised starring Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver. But the premiss of the series sounds really naff, Eddie and Minnie go and pretend to be dead rich people. But it's Eddie Izzard. I'm torn. I know you'll think that the obvious answer is to watch one ep and see what it's like, but what if it's shite? What if Eddie Izzard is in something shite? I don't know if I could take it.

I'm getting ready to travel to the interior tomorrow. Er, by getting ready I mean I have a wine box. Now Canadians, unlike the British and French, are a little wary of the wine box, a tad slow to embrace. So what I have is a litre of somebody or other's family reserve in a box like a litre of fruit juice. This is being marketed as a 'French Rabbit', delightfully amusing bunny references down one side. The one litre cost almost as much as a three litre box of Stowell's of Chelsea, sadly, as I have bemoaned before, the complete lack of Sainsburys here makes it difficult to find such home comforts.
And to be fair, although I miss the sheer convenience and, yes, comfort, of having a box on the side in the kitchen, we do have Bayou Brewing. This is an enterprise which stocks various grape musts which you can buy and allow them to make into wine for you. The end result is good wine at around the same price as a vin de table at Sainsburys.
Of course the downside of this is that you have to dedicate space to storing 60 bottles of wine in your garage, or wherever, instead of just buying what you want or need with your weekly shop at the supermarket.

While I was standing in the supermarket queue earlier, I marvelled, as usual, at the garbage in the form of magazines being peddled at the checkouts. How to lose weight like Oprah; poor Oprah is putting on weight again; Katie shocker, she loves Tom, but can't handle scientology; Katie shocker, she can't carry on with Tom; Jen and Brad back together again?; whose boob job is worst?; plucky Kate after split with William; William having seriously bad hair day but being brave anyway; my secret gay life - Loretta Lynn; my secret gay life - Virginia Tech shooter.

And on it goes..... until I spied something at the end of the aisle opposite that made me snort - literally, it was more embarrassing than having my debit card rejected - there is a range of drinks called 'Beaver Buzz'. I swear it's true. I'm not sure whether it sounded more like a challenger to the infamous Brazilian Wax or an unmentionable itching disease.

I'm travelling tomorrow, be back Sunday. May you all enjoy your weekend.

No comments: