Saturday 12 May 2007

Euro-visions

Saturday morning - what could be better? Even though I don't actually sleep much later than I normally do, it's the relaxed sleep of Friday night that makes me feel refreshed. The knowing that if I wanted to, I could sleep in, that and being able to just wallow a while in bed.

Our house is not very old, so it seems bizarre that in the shower there is a soap dish attached to the wall. One of those pointless fripperies that no-one who designs such things will think about doing away with for about the next fifty years. Since it has a concave bottom, I can't even stand my shower gel in it. Stupidly showering in the semi-darkness earlier this week, I reached down to grab my shower gel and clonked my head on the poxy soap dish. It hurt like billy-o however no bruise appeared, then like a plant that has taken its sweet time to germinate, yesterday morning it emerged in forty shades of green. Well, maybe three, but very green. It would be completely covered by my fringe were it not that I have to scrape my hair back for my costume, so I had to lard on several layers of make-up, which of course was just as noticeable as the bruise since I'm not prepared to build up a several layered mask on my entire physog.
I have no idea how to spell physog, but I suspect it's short for physiognomy in some way.

Another dinosaur that I had no idea was still around, is the Eurovision Song Contest. And what's more, I could swear it used to be in March. Until that is, I was watching BBC World News t'other day. It seems that the act tipped to win is a Ukrainian Transvestite. Now that's the spirit. It looked to me like a good old thorough pisstake. Nicely played. And yet, now Russia are squinnying that s/he is making fun of them. Take it on the chin Russia, in any case, your own act looks fairly shonky. Remind me which bit of Russia is in Europe in any case, I thought part of it was in Asia minor, but then geography never was my strong suit.

A couple of days ago it looked as though the monsoon was about to start in India, but as far as I can tell, they are still waiting. Must weigh heavily that wait. No pun intended, I know it's not a matter for mirth.

I have realised, now that I have slept, that I can't be fretting about Tony's resignation. For pity's sake, he had given us plenty of warning. But the real turning point for me was a comment on Polly Toynbee's blog from an Australian woman. I apologise for pasting the whole comment, but there is no discreet link.

"I'm an Australian and have spent two periods in Britain. The first was as a tourist in the early Major years (1992-1993) and the second was 2002-2004 when I worked in Brighton.

The change in your country between those two periods I found remarkable. In The early 90s I found a Britain rather depressed sullen and down at heel. Contrast that to the latter period when the country seemed to have become so much more confident, optimistic and vibrant.

It's sometimes difficult for those living in a country to fully appreciate even very profound changes."

She sums up what I was feeling, that with Tony stepping down things would just revert to the depressing Tory years. But of course they won't, the golden labour years have wrought changes that will not be reversed and more than that, both Gordon Brown and, if it came to it, even David Cameron, will continue Tony's work and vision. I think Gordon would be another great leader in any case and I'm wondering what the perception of the Scottish Nationalists would be if he were to have a full term as premier.

7 comments:

Sleepy said...

Eurovision is dire... just dire..
Celine Dion had a go for Switzerland I think it was. Back in the days when she still had 52 teeth in her head.

Sleepy said...

A rather 'Dykey' woman from Serbia won.
There was the usual block voting.
Russia voted for Belarus, Cyprus voted for Greece etc.

The whole thing is a total load of shite!

Schneewittchen said...

Noooooo!!! That Ukranian tranny was the bomb!!

Yer right, I'd forgotten about Celine Dion - blocked it out more likely, another national embarrassment.

Sleepy said...

That was too bizarre and Dana International won't be beaten in the Tranny stakes!

Schneewittchen said...

Ah...good point, I'd forgotten Dana International. Go trannies!!!

LentenStuffe said...

Talk about getting an emetic and not needing one! That Euroschism rubbish makes me desperately ill (I was going to use a different word that rhymes with 'schism'). The worst part is Ireland has won that crooning fest oodles of times. Now they have that high-pitched, over-grown chipmmunk, Johnny Logan, doing MickieDs adverts here. He's all dressed in white and comes through a door carrying a bag of McNuggets, like the messiah returning, and yes, he's bawling like he's got a strangulated hernia. It's awful tripe. I have to cover my children's eyes lest they be scarred for life. And this superannuated lilter brought out a rap version of his Eurvision songs last year! Can you imagine anything more vile?

Is there any depth to which greed will not sink?

And now we're subjected to non-European nations getting in on this orgy of kitsch!

You should remove that soap thingie. If that had happened to me, the hammer would've been enlisted in very short shift. Give it a good crack!

Ian Paisley was down South here, celebrating the Battle of the Boyne, and he quoted Patrick Kavanagh in his remarks. Now I know the Great Demiurge has one savage sense of humour!

Schneewittchen said...

I still can't get over the news that Ian Paisley is still alive, like I said on Sleepy's blog once, I was convinced he couldn't survive Dave Allen.

I'm with you on the soap thingie, except that being the foreigner here, I have to respect the Kev's superior knowledge about what is likely to put the kybosh on any future house sale ;)

Perhaps the vile advert will put your sproglets off ever buying the McShite food.