Monday 28 May 2007

Tricorder

Seriously, it pisses me right off that spellcheck, the same that refuses to acknowledge its own name, always underlines 'Tricorder'.
I mean, you can type in i-pod and it lets that one go with nary a mention, but Tricorders, which have been around donkey's years longer than i-pods, well they get singled out for derision.
Ridiculous.
It's not like it's a word you don't need often either.
Spell-Nazi would be more appropriate.

The pictures are of the view from the friend's house that we went to this evening - she knows how fortunate she is.

There is a column in today's Guardian by Zoe Williams, and very well-written it is, about the vagaries of the advice women get when pregnant. What has particularly, and in my opinion, rightly, enraged her today is the recent U-turn on drinking by the government's medical advisers, who freely admit that the change is not based on any new research.

"Five years ago," says Williams, "the government advice was as it was until last Thursday, one or two drinks once or twice a week, but it was taken as given that this was akin to government advice on regular drinking - that is, "14 units a week, are you kidding?", and nobody frowned upon the expectant mother having a drink a day."

Last Thursday, based on nothing, the advice changed to no alcohol at all. More demonisation. I think Zoe sums it up perfectly in this comment,
It's just a disclaimer from the government health authorities,
"Don't come crying to us if it all goes wrong. We have already warned you to be perfect."

And here's the thing. If Tricorders were freely available, why we could check up on our own health immediately and correct it with one flick of a switch.
But they're not.
Typical.

6 comments:

Sleepy said...

I read somewhere that in the original Star Trek series, the medical tricorder that Bones McCoy used was an Ikea pepper pot!
They got it because it looked futuristic!
Go Dykea!

I don't want a tricorder I want a Transporter!

LentenStuffe said...

Lovely Photos. Can almost feel the sea breeze.

If you get a Transporter, sleepy, will you beam yours truly upwards as well?

Schnee, don't sweat it: you're probably more literate than any of these spell-checks.

Sleepy said...

Lenten.. You're in.

Schneewittchen said...

Oh yes! We could all avoid Tapas in Cork, go for fish and chips in Southsea and go for a nightcap in downtown Vancouver!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the excellent read! So I swore off blue cheese all for nought??? I tried my damndest to find out any information on how breast milk is actually produced in the body and could find nothing. If you read the literature, you would think somewhere in your throat there's a crossroads where half goes to your stomach and half goes to your boobs. Try as I might, I still couldn't get my nipples to pour a perfect Guiness. I figured on those days I had to "pump and dump" that there had to be some market for boozy breast milk.

Schneewittchen said...

I'm sure there's a market in Ireland Gail :)