Tuesday 22 May 2007

Lupins

Lupins grow everywhere like wild flowers here. Wild lupins. Hmmm....

Yesterday, I went into Shoppers Drug Mart and I could hear my inner orchestra playing that tumultuous music that used to accompany Old Spice adverts, the music that follows the bridge of fog that allows Uther Pendragon into Morgana's castle in Excalibur.

Just inside the door was a new stand, stacked with products from Boots. Dadadadaaaaa dadadadaaaaaa, dadadadadada......

I stood and gazed, marvelling at how my needs are being addressed by the Great Controller.

Today, people had been to see Shrek 3. Not I. This is a foreign language classroom term ender film for me. Or trapped on an aircraft, amazing what you'll watch then. But the buzz was this. There was a trailer for a B movie.
-A B movie?
-No, no, a Bee movie.
-Ah...
-So what is wrong with that?
-The voices were male.
-Oh. Perhaps they were drones?
-They specifically made mention of things drones don't do, no, these were worker bees, but they were male.

Nevermind the state of Denmark, something's rotten in the State of Pixar or Disney or whatever.

Lupins. Loopiness. As I take the children into the forest, I point to the signs and go through the rules with them.
No.......? Dogs!
No.......? Bikes!
No.......? Cigarettes!

'But,' I say, 'there is something you must ALWAYS take with you when you go into the forest.'
The answer is a grown-up. I often get 'water, snack, umbrella.'
Today, 'A pretend dog.' A pretend dog. You mustn't take a dog with you so what absolutely must you have? A pretend dog. Hmm... yep, that told me something about the minds of the kids I was dealing with. Something preeeeetty damn accurate.

Ok, it's hot. Suddenly, I GET the sombrero. I have my wide-brimmed hat for work, it keeps the sun and the bugs off my face, but it isn't really enough. It's so hot now, I NEED a sombrero.

Forget the lupins, Sombrero, that's what's on my heat addled mind.

2 comments:

Sleepy said...

Is that what they are called? I have wondered!
The Music is Carl Orff, Carmina Burana! Love it!
According to ATM I had an imaginary rabbit, it lived in the cupboard under the stairs. (The same one I set on fire!)
A 'Pretend Dog' is inspired though!
I want one!

Schneewittchen said...

There's nothing stopping you getting a pretend dog, in fact there's prolly some special substance that facilitates just that.
Thanks for identifying the music. That does sound familiar.
You know, I knew that pretend dog kid would amuse you, she had some kind of different mindset that just made me think of you :))