Tuesday 8 May 2007

My Big Adventure - Part Deux

Food came at us all weekend. And it's difficult to not eat food that is just there and prepared by someone else. From the full English onwards it just kept appearing and heaps of leftover snacks seemed to be ever-present.

Workshops kept coming at us too. Some were good, some were full of western promise but didn't deliver. Some were just a bad pick for me. But this did mean unfortunately that we didn't get to see much of the park.
Someone commented that it was good to see the signs for Manning Park back. Apparently last year the signs had been replaced by 'Yellowstone Park' ones as some movie was being filmed there.

I took a pair of binoculars from the Nature House with me and didn't have an opportunity to take them out of the case. Until this morning that is. Walking to work I noticed a bird sitting on top of a fir tree. I wished I had a pair of binoculars and lo! Or rather duh! I did. It turned out to be a juvenile bald eagle. The juveniles don't have the black plumage and the white heads that the adults have, they are similar in colour to a golden eagle, perhaps a little more golden. But they are recognisable by their shaggy 'pyjama bottoms'. They look as though they have feathered trousers on that stop just above their ankles.
I moaned to Kris later that I hadn't got a photo because just as I got my camera out it flew away, and she reminded me that many people would feel blessed just to see one and watch it fly. And she was right.

Progress back to Richmond was quicker than going up since everyone was fairly shattered, no-one was in a party mood anymore.
I think the overwhelming thing I got from the trip was the people. What extraordinary people work in this field. They are just outstanding, and so welcoming, so willing to share what they know and how they present it. When I compare that with the cool, nay frosty reception I have received from my own profession here, well, there just is no comparison.

I really would like to go back to Manning Park and spend some time exploring. But there's bears in them thar hills, I will certainly go with someone who knows what they're doing. And then I scare myself, because to some people, I am the person who knows what they're doing.

Gulp.

6 comments:

LentenStuffe said...

You are so fortunate! How I'd love to be able to see one of those majestic creatures on a walk. Tonight they aired a documentary here on Kilimanjaro, and there was some incredible footage of the white-backed vultures.

Anyway, thanks for giving us a taste of your environs. Absolutely great stuff!

Anonymous said...

We're fortunate down by St. Louis. We've got a pair of eagles that winter here, have built a nest and raise their young here. They are such majestic birds and so enjoyable to watch.

And those bears! I've had one bear filled vacation. That was enough for me. We were camping in a tent. I heard bears outside the tent every night. Jen was about 3 and Nate 1. Me thinks now that I should have left the food in the tent with G and slept in the car with the kids! G didn't think the food needed to be put in the car.

Schneewittchen said...

I never want to become blasé about anything here. You're right Lenten, I am fortunate.

Ree, from some of the stories I've heard about ppl not storing their food properly, I'd say you're lucky to be alive.

Sleepy said...

Take that Ray Mears twat with you.

In fact I insist you throw him to the bears!

Schneewittchen said...

Covering him with honey should do it :)

Sleepy said...

..and wicker with a couple of rounds of sarnies in his pockets should do it!