Saturday 1 March 2008

Dewi Sant

St. David's Day and yet again, no daffs to be had, just these few at the front of my house. I had leek and mushroom soup for lunch, mostly leek though.

St. David was baptised by St. Elvis of Munster. Sounds a bit unreal, but I love that there was a St. Elvis.
Elvisly yours.

In his last sermon he (Dewi, not Elvis) told Christians to 'gwnewch y pethau bychain.'
I would have no idea how to pronounce this, Welsh pronunciation rules are ... different, but it means, 'do the little things'.

I'm going to think about that, that and exploring my Welshness.
On the road to that, I have looked at many pages about Welshness. Sadly, the most Welsh thing you seem to be able to do is read Welsh. And I have nothing against attempting to doing so, except that it seems quite the commitment.

When I studied Mediaeval French, we had to read a number of important texts that influenced the French. One was the Mabinogian. This led to exploring a bit of Welsh pronunciation - the book came with a guide. Mostly it allowed me to know how to say 'Daffyd' - which of course came in handy later.

So, back in cloud cuckoo land, David Cameron is going to give a third of senior government jobs to women. Ok, well on the one hand, it would be horrible if the Tory party won, on the same hand, a third would be an improvement, a BIG bloody improvement, on the other hand, over half of the electorate are....what was it now, oh yes, WOMEN, so I would think that it might be prudent to suggest that he will at least aim to give fifty percent of all senior government jobs to women.

Still, mustn't grumble.

2 comments:

Sleepy said...

On BBC4 the other night Rob Brydon did a show aboout being Welsh.
Very funny!
Look out for it on BBC Canada or BBC iplayer.

The line from James Corden, "Well, your language never caught on did it? I've never met a Frenchman who couldn't speak French!" had me in stitches!

Schneewittchen said...

I will, I will :)