Sunday 9 March 2008

Short Day

Goddammit, we lost an hour today. So early in March too, ridiculously early. Oh well, we had to pay back that free hour from October sometime.

Last night's SNL Hillary/Obama sketch was a bit too near the knuckle. Many professional women, myself included, have had the experience of being passed over for promotion in favour of some less qualified, less experienced man. At the time it happened to me, I was told, off the record of course, that my application was superior, my interview exceptional, but that they had had to go with the male candidate because...fudge, fudge, fudge. Then, like the sketch, spent the next couple of years until I got my promotion elsewhere, being consulted by him on every detail of his management of our faculty, that I already had experience of, because I had run a department and he hadn't.

So like I said, the sketch.
Too, too near the mark and many women have experienced this.

No comments: