Saturday 14 March 2009

Discoveries

On Thursday, we went to an afternoon meeting at the 'Fraser River Discovery Centre'. What I discovered was that tugboats pull logs down the river (see photo), which was quite fascinating, and that the aforementioned centre is so hot that the meeting participants mostly turned a flustered shade of reddish-purple.

An interesting survey by an Economist at the University of California shows that in the US, mixed race people fare the worst in terms of pay. He surveyed 3million US Americans and found that the average pay for mixed race people was $15.74 per hour, $17.39 for black and $22.04 for white. Bizarrely, this didn't even tie up with their qualifications, since 18% of the mixed race respondents had degrees, 11% of the black, and 28% of the white. Obambi is damned lucky he's Pres then.

On Friday, we had a staggeringly busy day, with three programmes out of a possible two-per-day. Yep. In the afternoon, in one class, were autistic twins, which seemed just so harsh for the parents to me.

In the evening, I went to my book group. It's a real blessing to spend time with like-minded women, and yet how odd that the two groups that I define that way, are both groups of Christian women, who, you would think, should be rather more conservative. Far from it, they are the most open-minded people I know.

Sleepy's i-pod (John) has shown signs of AI and has its own musical taste, not always in tune (sic) with Sleepy's. I don't have an i-pod, but I have discovered that when playing tunes on YouTube, my laptop ignores what I tell it and selects Melissa Etheridge tracks. I'm not actually complaining, it's just that it's being a bit aggressive about it.

5 comments:

Sleepy said...

I'm jealous that you got up close to the logging process!

I love that you have a 'Dykey' laptop!
John the i-pod has declared no preference thus far.

Schneewittchen said...

Logging....all I will say is...our spare room is free from the end of August....

Schneewittchen said...

and the laptop....well, it just ran amok!

Sleepy said...

Have you been watching The L Word on it?
It may have gone a bit Shane on you!

Schneewittchen said...

No! Not even! But I do read your blog on it...