Thursday 26 March 2009

Harsh Words

Non-inclusive language is a real bugbear for me, and I think that's fairly obvious since my for most of my professional life, language was my area of expertise.
Today, however, it played a small joke on me.
I was updating one of the programmes at work, and this year, one of the male characters, Jack Frost, was a Jill Frost. Easy-peasy lemon squeezy, Word will do that for you in two simple moves. Then I realised I'd have to change the his to hers. Bosh, bosh, done.
Then as I checked through the script, I noticed that Word had done too good a job. 'This' had become 'ther', 'whisper' had become 'wherper'.
D'oh!

Goddamit! Red Dwarf is back after nine years and I can't even play the sodding trailer on the Graun's website!
Bugger.

This is most surprising. The Pope, according to the medical establishment, is distorting science when it comes to condoms. Woah, harsh words.
Heeheeheehee.

3 comments:

Sleepy said...

Grrrrr... Pope... Grrrr!

Travelling STaff said...

"They used to have TV shows on Saturday nights where they'd get out all the freaks, make them sing and dance and then point and laugh at them . . . simple people, simple tastes."

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I can't wait!

Schneewittchen said...

At least we get Grahame Norton. Plus, he must surely be the Antipope.